New pool, confused about different suction lines in pool

I just opened my pool and got everything running, but am confused about something. I bought the house last year, and had the pool winterized by a company. In the process of de-winterizing, I pulled a plug out of the side of the pool that I didnt remember being there last year (I think it was plugged with a white plug last year). When I turned the heater on, I put my hand next to it thinking it was putting water into the pool, and it practically sucked my hand in. My confusion is that I have connections in the skimmer basket for the vaccume, which is what I used last year. Can someone explain this to me? I gather it is a dedicated line, but I just want to figure out how pools are typically plumbed (ive done some reading/searching for the past 30 min, but am still confused).

Thanks again.

Can you post a picture of your pool equipment and plumbing at the equipment pad? Might make it easier to assist in determining your setup.

How close to the skimmer is the pipe you removed the plug from?

Yup, a photo may help. Many pools do,have a suction line the wall for vacuum and/or pool cleaners

I attached a picture from the pool room. The line on the side of the pool that I am curious about, is a few feet away from the skimmer. The skimmer has two lines in it, one of which I was hooking the vacuum up to. Let me know if you need any other pictures! Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• 20160526_195338.jpg
    20160526_195338.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 34
What were the valve positions when you found suction at line you removed the plug from?

The 2 lines on the suction side are labeled Main Drain and Skimmer. Open the Skimmer valve completely and close the Main Drain valve. With pump running, go to pool and see if skimmer is pulling in water - and if the pipe in question still has suction. Then open the Main Drain valve fully and close the Skimmer valve. Check skimmer and pipe again (carefully, don't let you hand get sucked in. Let us know the results.

Also, in the skimmer you mentioned 2 holes. The one furthest from the pool edge is usually the suction line which feeds the pump. Some times the other line is closed off or plugged. If the one closest to the pool edge is not closed off, it's possible it's running to the main drain. Check yours and see.

I'm hoping the Main Drain valve is mis-marked and is actually the dedicated cleaner port.

What were the valve positions when you found suction at line you removed the plug from?

The 2 lines on the suction side are labeled Main Drain and Skimmer. Open the Skimmer valve completely and close the Main Drain valve. With pump running, go to pool and see if skimmer is pulling in water - and if the pipe in question still has suction. Then open the Main Drain valve fully and close the Skimmer valve. Check skimmer and pipe again (carefully, don't let you hand get sucked in. Let us know the results.

Also, in the skimmer you mentioned 2 holes. The one furthest from the pool edge is usually the suction line which feeds the pump. Some times the other line is closed off or plugged. If the one closest to the pool edge is not closed off, it's possible it's running to the main drain. Check yours and see.

I'm hoping the Main Drain valve is mis-marked and is actually the dedicated cleaner port.

Okay, so here is what is happening with the two valves turned on/off:

Skimmer on / Main off: Skimmer line in basket (furthest away from the pool) is sucking. The other line in basket is doing nothing, and the line on the side of the pool is doing nothing.
Main on / Skimmer off: No real suction in the basket, the line on the side of the pool is sucking hard (I also have a main drain at the deep end of the pool, which is probably obvious but just in case).

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks again for the advice!

Skimmers generally have two holes in the bottom -

One goes to the pump
The other is there to go to a,second skimmer or even a main drain. The second hole does not need to be used and comes from the factory plugged. In your case I think it's still plugged.

I think your pool was set up for that hole in the side of the pool to,be used for a vacuum or cleaner. Turn off the skimmer and lots of suction for both the main drain and that extra port.

What Tim said... ^^^^^^^^^^

There are safety covers for the suction cleaner pipe that will help keep body parts from getting sucked into/against the pipe. This would be installed when pool is open (as opposed to winterized). Here's one example: Hayward Lock Safety Vac Wall Fitting W400BBKP | Hayward W400BBKP

Thanks Tim and proavia, that makes sense. I'm going to order one of those safety wall fittings because that is definitely a concern!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.