Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should i be worried about electrocution?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should i be worried about electrocution?

When we bought our house, the previous owner had to get the pool back in working order as part of the purchase. I assume there was a light in the wall directly below the diving board, because now the liner is sucked into a perfectly round depression in that spot. Is there any way we can be shocked? How would I know if the electricity was properly removed from this area?
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should i be worried about electrocution?

Find the junction box to make sure that no wires go in the conduit to the light.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Somewhere near the missing light, usually hidden in a planter, or near the equipment pad you ought to see something like this

Pull the cover off. One side will have wires from a switch, the other should have nothing (except maybe a pull-rope if someone was kind) coming out of the conduit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't have anything like that. The only thing electrical around the pool is the box my pump timer sits in.

5. Back To Top    #5

If there was a light, there's a junction box somewhere. Sometimes it's in the diving board base under the diving board.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Longview, Texas

If you are certain there isnt a J box, then the builder may have installed the conduit from the light housing all the way to the lgiht switch. Somewhere there should be a switch to turn the light on and off. Or perhaps a timer. If you can identify it, you can measure to see if there is any voltage.

My pool light doen't have a J Box. They ran conduit all the way from teh light to the light switch at the pad.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

No switches anywhere. There is an Eaton pullout switch directly beside my pump timer which I assume cuts the power to the pump. That's the only thing I have outside in the backyard, assuming there isn't a box beneath the diving board. Will have to check tomorrow.