Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pump may be dead. Not sure if I need a new one or hopefully be able to repair mine

1. Back To Top    #1

My pump may be dead. Not sure if I need a new one or hopefully be able to repair mine

My pump is a model usn1202 Part 7-193687-02.
    It's a 2 1/2 hp spa pump, around 7 years old.

It was working just fine yesterday.
    Today I turned it off and on in quick succession by accident and it wouldn't start again after that.

Now I'm just getting a humming noise and the breaker trips after several seconds.

Any ideas what it could be?

Have a great Memorial Day all!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My pump may be dead. Not sure if I need a new one or hopefully be able to repair

It may be the capacitor in the top of the pump, check it out.. the breaker tripping is worrying me though, not sure if the capacitor would be causing that..

How To Replace a Pool Pump Capacitor - INYOPools.com
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: My pump may be dead. Not sure if I need a new one or hopefully be able to repair

There is no capacitor on top of this pump. If anything it's inside the back. I don't know about that. But my pump does not have one of those capacitor housings like some pumps do

4. Back To Top    #4

My pump may be dead. Not sure if I need a new one or hopefully be able to repair mine

I found the capacitor and changed it and it did not do the trick.
    I had to take the motor off the pump and found there is no issue with the motor. Looks like my Hayward pump is locking up due to some worn out plastic bearing.
    I ordered a few replacements parts for it and will hopefully get it fixed soon.

Talk about a coincidence, my hvac AC unit outside won't start. This one I believe to be a bad capacitor since the one in there is totally bulged out on top.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

the bulge is definitely a bad capacitor

Interesting, that your pump is fine, at least you know now
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually the pump is bad. Motor is fine. But I did find all the parts I need and ordered it all for about $70.