May 29, 2016
Lumberton TX
We just set up our pool and have no clue what to do next. The pool was given to us by a relative and we are excited to have it. Now, what do I do with it???

I've read through a lot of the information on this website, but it's a bit overwhelming. I just need to know step-by-step where to start and what to do next.

Right now, we have the filter running (followed the instructions in the owner's manual) and that's it.

What now???

Robyn D.

Welcome to TFP, Rzdoucet :) Glad you found us!

When your pool is smallish, you can treat it a little differently than a larger pool. If things go south it isn't as much trouble to just drain, clean and start again.

Please read this: Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Test kits are very important as you want your pool to be sanitary as well as the water look good. The one I like is the TF-100, but others like the Taylor K-2006. Both are available on Amazon.

Holler back with any questions you have :)

Welcome! :wave:

It would help to know what chemicals you have on hand and what test kit, if any you have.

With a fresh fill you know there's no CYA and not enough FC to matter. If the abbreviations make no sense, check out ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to learn our lingo. Your pH could be high or low or in the safe zone. That has to be tested to know what it needs. Total Alkalinity is in the same category. The good news is low Calcium Hardness doesn't matter in your pool, so you don't need to test it. What could you do if it was high? Refill it with more of the same? It's nice but not necessary to know that just yet. You want that pool swimmable.

So... with no CYA in the water yet, target FC is 3. A whopping 2½ cups of standard 8.25% laundry bleach ( no scented or splashless stuff) will get you there. You probably have that in the laundry room.

To raise CYA requires stabilizer. It will take less than two pounds but the stuff is sold in 4 or 5 lb canisters. You can also get stabilizer in some powdered forms of chlorine. So if you have anything that came as samples with the pool, or some neighbor handed over some leftovers, let us know.

Then you need to adjust pH. That's where you need a tester to know which way to go and how much.

So go ahead and add some bleach now. Your kids bathe in the same water so it won't kill 'em if they get in before the rest is settled, but they may end up red-eyed since they don't usually spend hours under the bath.

Then post back and let us know about test kit and available chemicals.

Test results:::

0 chlorine
7.8 PH
180 ALKALINITY
0 Calcium Hardness

I tested the water and then we added a Salt Water System to it.

So, that being said, do I just wait until the SWS has had time to do what it's supposed to? Or do I need to add additional chemicals? Or what???

When do I test again??

Definitely add bleach to maintain FC until the SWG is operating and producing chlorine. Until you get CYA in the pool FC should be tested a couple of times a day to make sure it doesn't drop to 0. The sun will eat up the chlorine fast with no CYA.

Here is the theory on how to maintain chlorine.
In order to keep the pool sanitary and not let algae grow the FC must be maintained at all times. FC level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] chart. Keep it at target or a tad higher if needed. Never let it drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will start growing.

Definitely add bleach to maintain FC until the SWG is operating and producing chlorine. Until you get CYA in the pool FC should be tested a couple of times a day to make sure it doesn't drop to 0. The sun will eat up the chlorine fast with no CYA.

Here is the theory on how to maintain chlorine.
In order to keep the pool sanitary and not let algae grow the FC must be maintained at all times. FC level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] chart. Keep it at target or a tad higher if needed. Never let it drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will start growing.

Thank you. How do I get CYA??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rzdoucet, we need a full set of test results to advise you. Did you ever get one of the test kits we advised you about previously?

Tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
and with a SWG it helps to have a current salt level, give us those numbers and we'll help you get it sorted out.

What have you added and used so far?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.