Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool trouble

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool trouble

Hi! I am new to this forum and I joined because me and my father recently opened our pool for the summer, and we have been vexed by this strange problem we've never encountered before. The top of the water is covered in foamy bubbles that just wont seem to go away. We have already tried half empying the pool of water multiple times. We have also used a whole bag of salt for the pool (because we have a power ionizer for salt water). We washed the filter rings 4-5 times. This problem has been around for 2 to 3 days now and it won't go away. We are asking for help urgently because the people at the pool store are being useless and unhelpful. I have attached an image of the water, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 3.20.39 PM.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool trouble

Welcome to TFP

Looks like someone tried to wash the dishes in the pool just kidding..

Edit, sorry got this backwards, CH helps some with foaming, just wanted to set everything straight
    It may be high CH, did the pool store test your water?
    Do you have a test kit, we always recommend getting a great test kit as the pool store and guess strips are usually wrong.. check out the links in my sig below and let us know if you have any numbers now, sometimes the pool stores get close..

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

They did indeed test it and said it might have high PH, i'm new to this (it's my father's pool) what is CH? (also thanks for the response)

4. Back To Top    #4

Did this pool previously use baqucil I have seen chlorine do this to a baqucil pool.
    20,000 gal in ground pool vinyl liner, cartridge filters (4) 1 1/2 hp haywood pump and heater Tiger Shark vacuum TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

We did not use that no, we have never used baqucil nor know what it is actually, if it helps at all, we put in a gallon or so of super shock after opening the pool (we do that every year).

6. Back To Top    #6

There are many people on this site that can definitely help you I learned a lot on here but I'm no expert I would get a test kit ( TF-100 ) and post the numbers and I'm sure someone will chime in ...I agree these pool stores on the island are no help all they want to do is sell you more of there solutions that never really take care of the problem I would SLAM that bad boy with Liquid Shock which is 12.5% bleach or go to the store and buy some Reg Clorox. Stay away from powders from the pool store.
    20,000 gal in ground pool vinyl liner, cartridge filters (4) 1 1/2 hp haywood pump and heater Tiger Shark vacuum TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Typically, a foaming pool is associated with the use of an algaecide. increase your FC level by 50% and keep it there......that most always works.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

thank you, i'll definitely look into getting said test kit, there's not much else we can do right now because memorial day weekend but i'll post another thread at some point when i have those numbers, thanks for the help everyone