Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump question

Hey all. I'm a pool newbie so go easy!! I've got a 20000 gallon in ground 30 year old gunite pool. Here's is a pic of my pump and filter. Here are my questions. I'm running the pump 10 hours a day, 6pm to 4 am. This is my first full season with the pool and we pay .19 cents per kWh. What is my best option for a pump replacement? 2 speed or variable? Could I just replace the motor on my pump instead of the whole thing? All my plumbing is 1.5", is my pump oversized?? Im just looking to easy the financial impact of running and maintaining. I am in southern NH and typically open mid to end of May and close beginning to middle of September.0529161449.jpg0529161445e.jpg
    20000 gal in ground gunite
    Hayward s200 sand filter
    Hayward 1.5up single speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Pump question

The easiest way is to reduce the pump on time. I get by with only three hours a day. If you have tiered rates, do your running during the cheap hours as much as you can. Just remember it has to be mixed well before testing and after adding.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!