Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Piping a waste line to the interior of your house, to the sewer clean out?

1. Back To Top    #1

Piping a waste line to the interior of your house, to the sewer clean out?

Just discovered we have a sewer clean out line in the interior of our house. Can we pipe up from this clean out line, with a tee of some sort for access down the road, such that we could run a pipe outside to connect to the waste line of our multiport valve? We are redoing ALL of our pool plumbing, so now would be an ideal time to do it.

This seems like a genius idea, in that the chlorine (if any) in the waste water would help kill tree roots that clog our main sewer line. On the contrary, a break in the plumbing from waste could lead to a ton of pool waste water in the basement. That could be really, really bad.

Otherwise, we'd just be sending the water out into the street and into the gutters, which may or may not be legal to do. Do the pros outweigh the cons?

EDIT: Picture of the area, with the clean out access in from of where the water line comes in:
    IMG_4313.jpg
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Piping a waste line to the interior of your house, to the sewer clean out?

This is an issue where in some places you are required to discharge your water only to the sewer and in some places you are forbidden from doing so.

So first I would ask. then if allowed i would not block a clean out. Its probably required by code. And generally I would want to connect outside the house footprint
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

You also want to be careful with flow rates as well. People have occasionally had pool water discharge backup into shower drains and toilet bowls because their sewer lines could not handle the flow rate of water or were plugged up enough to be too restrictive.

The chlorine you flush down the sewer will do next to nothing to tree roots. Most plants and trees are fairly resistant to chlorine at concentrations found in pool water. You wouldn't even impact the bacteria growing the pipes all that much either.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In my area they require 0 FC and a list of other parameters discharge pool water to municipal waste systems. And like gwegan said the clean out is there to be a clean out not a place to tap into the system.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

I was required by code to setup a P-trap into my main line that could be used to send the backwash from my DE filter. Turns out, pretty much everyone sets it up for final inspection then removes it because the flow from the pool pump would overload the system and push water out into the showers or toilets. I personally wait for a rainy day and backwash my pool right before that. I have a huge filter and very little debris, so I only need to backwash like 2 to 3 times per year.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Or, better yet, buy yourself a ginormous cartridge filter and don't worry about backwashing lines....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 what others have said about the flow rate overloading a house drain system. But, that picture shows a natural gas meter and it looks like the regulator is attached to the larger black-iron pipe with the tee and "clean-out" plug at the top. Are you sure that is a house drain line, or am I missing something?
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    In my area they require 0 FC and a list of other parameters discharge pool water to municipal waste systems. And like gwegan said the clean out is there to be a clean out not a place to tap into the system.
    we all know this is just silly because tap water has chlorine in it so ...
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Propbndr View Post
    +1 what others have said about the flow rate overloading a house drain system. But, that picture shows a natural gas meter and it looks like the regulator is attached to the larger black-iron pipe with the tee and "clean-out" plug at the top. Are you sure that is a house drain line, or am I missing something?
    You're seeing 3 things there. I had to tear down a wall to access this area, and discovered what that plug was that the former wall was covering up. I tore down the wall because the utility company is moving the gas meter outside in the next couple weeks. From the floor up is the water line to the water meter, and in front of that (flush with the floor) is the sewer clean out.

We recently had a plumber come in and snake out line from the stack pipe clean out plug, which he said wasn't as effective as getting the snake into the clean out that was blocked by the wall.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

10. Back To Top    #10

My only concern with this, would be as others said, the flow rate and the possible pressurization of a drain line that is not designed for water pressure, but to flow from gravity. I would make sure that the flow rate is low enough not to pressurize your sewer line. Reducing the size of your backwash line could achieve this, but might also create a separate problem of too much pressure on your waste line....

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Yes the FC limit is a lil silly but it's still code...

That aside if you are really worried about what to do. With your backwash you could dig yourself a drywell for the waste line. I'm sure there are code issues with that too.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Yes the FC limit is a lil silly but it's still code...
    Wouldn't that technically make it against code to bleach your clothes lol. I agree, its ridiculous.

13. Back To Top    #13

So this seem like a no-go, as the cons certainly outweigh the single pro.