Stenner install

N54tt

May 26, 2016
NY
This site has been a great resource and has helped me with my Stenner installation, so I figured I'd pay it forward. Following is all the information I have collected reading though mult threads.

I ordered the 45MPHP10 and the Stenner 15gallon grey tank. You don't need the high pressure pump...but I'd figure better safe than sorry. The fixed rate pump seems to be less maintence than the variable rate ones, hence my decision to go with fixed rate. 3gallon per day would also have sufficed, but I'd rather run the pump for a shorter period of time/day..plus have the option to shock the pool using the pump as well. FYI the only difference between the 3gal/day and 10gal/day pumps is the tube it comes with....which can easily be changed. The Stenner tank is more expensive and you can get other tanks for cheaper....but the cleanliness of the install is worth it for me.

As far as control of the pump, as suggested before in other threads....the preference is to have the Stenner pump on the same timer as the filter pump. That way you minimize the risk of having the Stenner run while the filter pump is off. My current pump is 240v running off an intermatic T104. So I decided to go with the intermatic P1353ME. Notes on wiring: P1353ME can be used with both 120v and 240v loads. In it's typical installation the P1353ME will only switch off 1 of the legs on a 240V load. Which means there is still a hot 120V source going to the pump when it is off. This can be done, and is ok, but not preferred. BUT you can wire the P1353ME so that it switches off both legs of the 240v pump/load....by wiring it and setting it up on MODE 5. In MODE 5, Circuits 1 and 2 are now both controlled as one circuit. So when. You turn off circuit 1, circuit 2 is turned off as well. However it limits you to controlling 2 separate circuits/loads, instead of the 3. The second switch is wired to a GFCI outlet that I'm going to plug the Stenner pump into. I'm fine with that since I only needed to power my pool pump and the Stenner pump.

I ordered my Stenner pump and tank from Lockwell...which had a better price than USwatersystems. Lockwell seems to be slow in processing my order. Site said it was in stock...but when I inquired 3-4 days later I was told it was being shipped to them from the Manufacturer and then will ship out to me. I only got a "processing" email the day I called them. I have a feeling my order was sitting there and missed until I actually called. I'm still waiting for the pump to arrive...and will work on the plumbing once the tank and pump come in. Plans are to remove my inline chlorinator and put in the 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1/2" Tee instead of drilling and tapping. I have a 1/2" plug in case I want to remove the Stenner pump.

Here are some pics of the wiring. Will update once I get the tank and pump and have that installed.

Thanks. I've been adding liquid chlorine daily sometimes every other, for the past 5 years. Been tracking my daily usage a bit more and am hoping this will make it a bit easier. Only concern is degradation since I typically use 12.5% and have made sure to store it in cool temps. Contemplating if I should try and bury the tank. Equipment pad is on the side of the house that gets little sun..so I wonder if the ground temps there would be lower than the air temps.

I buried my LC tank and thus far the contents of the "cistern" are 30-40°F below ambient. But the season is still young. The deeper you bury the tank, the more benefit of natural ground temperature you'll gain. You can try to improve the performance by burying a horizontal layer of 1" rigid foam that extends 2-3' from the barrel and sits ~12" below ground level (I didn't do this but probably should have). That will prevent the worst of solar heating of the immediate ground. As the weather warms, the ground will warm as a gradient from near ambient near the surface to roughly 55°F as you get down to 8-10' (hence the basis of wine cellars that depend on natural stability of deeper earth temps). I did wrap the upper 2' of a 55 gal barrel (which is ~36" tall) with 1/2" rigid foam (with some partial cuts to allow wrapping). That keeps only the deepest part of the barrel in direct contact with the coolest part of the earth. You can also shade the top of the barrel with a cover or some reflective foil (a suggestion I've yet to implement).

If you are inclined, this is the description of my strategy as implement thus far: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/112080-My-Stenner-install-and-bulk-bleach-storage-strategy

If you decide to go this strategy and maximize the benefits, I would go with a 55 gallon HDPE drum off of Craigslist. You can buy a food-grade drum and have a guy dig your hole for roughly the cost of the Stenner 15 gallon container. You don't have to fill the whole drum...but you can if you find the temperature control is good enough to make sense. Chemgeek did the hard work for us and created a table of expected bleach degradation as a function of temperature and strength: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...bleach-over-time-by-storage-temperature/page2 (post #23).

Good luck! Sounds like you know what you are doing.

BTW, where in NY are you located?

I'm located on LI. Took a quick look at your strategy....looks pretty good and will keep track on how it's working for you. But it's a bit more involved than I'm willing to do at the moment. I'm honestly okay with storing just enough chlorine in the tank for about a week and making sure I have the capability to store enough for 2weeks when I go on vacation. 55gal drum seems overkill for my situation. I was even having a hard time deciding between the the 7.5 and 15 gallon Stenner tank lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.