5bucks

Jun 6, 2015
Quarryville/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pump basket is full of air and air bubbles in return. Poured hose over basket housing and bubbles stopped so I figured - replace o ring on lid...nope. I can tell there is a lot of air in the de filter tank yet when I open bleeder, water does come out.

- - - Updated - - -

I can actually hear the water pouring into the filter tank.

There's also a drain plug or two at the bottom of the pump strainer basket you should check. Another common leak spot is where the threaded adaptor fits into the pump. The pump has straight threads, the PVC to threaded adaptor has tapered. Time and vibration can cause the joint to leak.

Shaving cream is better than the hose to test for leaks, more pinpoint ability and you'll see a hole get sucked in wherever the leak is.

Thank you I will do the shaving cream test. Drain plug seemed fine. I had decided to enjoy some time INSIDE the pool as opposed to not enjoying out and may have seen a clue --- there was actually a little vortex and sucky noise at the return ??!
The pump is filtering and pool water looks good (was green 2 days ago so definitely filtering). Should I limit running the pump until I figure this out? Basket remains about half full when running. I can see water pouring in from skimmer line though

Thank you I will do the shaving cream test. Drain plug seemed fine. I had decided to enjoy some time INSIDE the pool as opposed to not enjoying out and may have seen a clue --- there was actually a little vortex and sucky noise at the return ??!
The pump is filtering and pool water looks good (was green 2 days ago so definitely filtering). Should I limit running the pump until I figure this out? Basket remains about half full when running. I can see water pouring in from skimmer line though

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to "post"....... well I believe if I just keep a can of shaving cream close by my problem is solved. LOL. No hole was produced but cream around the connection at bottom of skimmer all but eliminated bubbles in return and pump basket water level is up!

Ok, so I did post it the first time --- I don't write on this forum much (but read a lot!) That's what's weird, the vortex was just inside the return, not at the skimmer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.