Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in system. CAN NOT figure it out

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in system. CAN NOT figure it out

Pump basket is full of air and air bubbles in return. Poured hose over basket housing and bubbles stopped so I figured - replace o ring on lid...nope. I can tell there is a lot of air in the de filter tank yet when I open bleeder, water does come out.

- - - Updated - - -

I can actually hear the water pouring into the filter tank.
    27' round ~ preowned ~ beginning install ~ replacing smaller pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in system. CAN NOT figure it out

There's also a drain plug or two at the bottom of the pump strainer basket you should check. Another common leak spot is where the threaded adaptor fits into the pump. The pump has straight threads, the PVC to threaded adaptor has tapered. Time and vibration can cause the joint to leak.

Shaving cream is better than the hose to test for leaks, more pinpoint ability and you'll see a hole get sucked in wherever the leak is.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you I will do the shaving cream test. Drain plug seemed fine. I had decided to enjoy some time INSIDE the pool as opposed to not enjoying out and may have seen a clue --- there was actually a little vortex and sucky noise at the return ??!
    The pump is filtering and pool water looks good (was green 2 days ago so definitely filtering). Should I limit running the pump until I figure this out? Basket remains about half full when running. I can see water pouring in from skimmer line though

4. Back To Top    #4

If you see a vortex in the skimmer, the weir is stuck or the water level is just too low overall. Make sure the flapper moves freely and then add some more water to the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you I will do the shaving cream test. Drain plug seemed fine. I had decided to enjoy some time INSIDE the pool as opposed to not enjoying out and may have seen a clue --- there was actually a little vortex and sucky noise at the return ??!
    The pump is filtering and pool water looks good (was green 2 days ago so definitely filtering). Should I limit running the pump until I figure this out? Basket remains about half full when running. I can see water pouring in from skimmer line though

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to "post"....... well I believe if I just keep a can of shaving cream close by my problem is solved. LOL. No hole was produced but cream around the connection at bottom of skimmer all but eliminated bubbles in return and pump basket water level is up!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, so I did post it the first time --- I don't write on this forum much (but read a lot!) That's what's weird, the vortex was just inside the return, not at the skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

A typo doesn't matter if you've found the leak!