Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baby with no swim diaper

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Baby with no swim diaper

We have family in this weekend for our first big pool party. Our nephew brought his one year old daughter but said they didn't have any swim diapers. Eek! I did bump up the chlorine with a little liquid chlorine to take my level to 9 before they got here. I'm sure the baby will end up peeing in the pool so what should I expect as far a undoing the damage or should I be fine?
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baby with no swim diaper

Pee is not as big a deal as poo. A quick trip to the store should remedy the no swim diaper problem. Anything that she could wear that would contain a solid poo would help. If the baby has diarrhea then you should slam the pool and not permit any more swimming. Otherwise bump up the chlorine after swimming.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Duct tape and produce bag. Instant swim diaper. Problem solved.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The amount of urine produced by a 1 year old is minuscule compared to an adult. You'll never know if she did pee in the pool or not.

Since owning a home with a pool, my two youngest have swam with only regular diapers on. They have never pooped in the pool as cold water tends to shut down the bowels. If the child is allowed to play in the water AFTER they've had a dirty diaper change, then it should be fine, no need to go to any extremes.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

She does have a regular diaper on so no floaters lol. I don't think I could tactfully suggest the duct tape idea ha ha.

Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

6. Back To Top    #6

Swim diapers don't do much; the idea is to mostly-contain solids for a moment until detected, while letting liquids through unimpeded. (Don't put a swim-diapered baby on the couch!) Urine is generally sterile, anyway... I'd worry more about the uncle who hasn't showered in a few days.
    Elizabeth

16'x48" ProSeries

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Duct tape and produce bag. Instant swim diaper. Problem solved.
    This totally made my day
    22,400 gal; in-ground gunite rectangle, vinyl liner; 3.5'-8' depth; Chlorine; auto cover; Hayward Pump and Sand Filter; Hayward Electric Heatpro; diving board; 3 sidewall fountains; open mid May thru mid October; built 2011; Taylor K-2006C FAS-DPD Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, swim diapers only catch solids. Pee goes right through - that's why if you ever see a baby with a regular diaper in a pool watch out. It will swell until it finally ruptures spilling the liquid absorbent everywhere!
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Well no harm, no foul, as the baby made a nice dirty diaper AFTER being in the pool. Checked chlorine level anyway after everyone left and all was well. Whew!
    Pool completed 3/21/2016