How to Operate Plumbing

You got it. A whole bunch of really filthy water is gonna come out somewhere. It may be hard-plumbed into a sewer or there could be a barb for a backwash hose, or you may just end up standing in mud.

attachment.php

Ok. Sounds good. The backwash pipe goes into the ground, so I'm going to assume it goes to sewer. Can I vacuum to waste by having this open and then vacuuming?
No.

All you're doing is reversing the flow through the filter. Waste takes the filter right out of the equation. If you vacuum on backwash with a sand filter, all the sludge will end up inside the standpipe and laterals and when you go back to filter, it will blow it back into the pool.

You'll just have to vacuum then backwash.

I would make no assumptions.
That's actually a very good point. The previous owner of my house ran a white PVC pipe (oops, not to code) underground and up and over the garage door until it came out in a planter where there is sewer access. The pool guy said it never worked right -- too much backpressure and it flowed faster than the sewer would take it and overflowed all over the driveway, carrying mulch and everything with it. The pipe's still there, broken off flush with the ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.