Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to Operate Plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

How to Operate Plumbing

Can anyone tell by looking at this picture how I am supposed to backwash? I assume the knob on the pipe that says "backwash" gets pulled out/up?

Pump pressure is sitting at about 22psi.

IMG_1288.jpg
    ~17k gallon, plaster/gunite pool, Pac Fab Challenger Pump 1.65HP, Sand filter. Rheem Heater. Waterfalls with 1 hp pump. Main Drain and 1 Skimmer.
    TF-100XL test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to Operate Plumbing

You got it. A whole bunch of really filthy water is gonna come out somewhere. It may be hard-plumbed into a sewer or there could be a barb for a backwash hose, or you may just end up standing in mud.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard. Should I turn the pump off before moving any valves or switching to backwash?
    ~17k gallon, plaster/gunite pool, Pac Fab Challenger Pump 1.65HP, Sand filter. Rheem Heater. Waterfalls with 1 hp pump. Main Drain and 1 Skimmer.
    TF-100XL test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. If you try pulling that handle up with the pump on, you'll probably dislodge one of the internal O-rings and create all kinds of problems.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. Sounds good. The backwash pipe goes into the ground, so I'm going to assume it goes to sewer. Can I vacuum to waste by having this open and then vacuuming?
    TF-100XL test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cmasty View Post
    Ok. Sounds good. The backwash pipe goes into the ground, so I'm going to assume it goes to sewer. Can I vacuum to waste by having this open and then vacuuming?
    No.

All you're doing is reversing the flow through the filter. Waste takes the filter right out of the equation. If you vacuum on backwash with a sand filter, all the sludge will end up inside the standpipe and laterals and when you go back to filter, it will blow it back into the pool.

You'll just have to vacuum then backwash.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would make no assumptions.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I would make no assumptions.
    That's actually a very good point. The previous owner of my house ran a white PVC pipe (oops, not to code) underground and up and over the garage door until it came out in a planter where there is sewer access. The pool guy said it never worked right -- too much backpressure and it flowed faster than the sewer would take it and overflowed all over the driveway, carrying mulch and everything with it. The pipe's still there, broken off flush with the ground.