Help!! Need new pump/filter

bubs37

May 29, 2016
Oakfield, wisconsin
I have a 30 foot round pool. About 4 and a half feet depth with a 6'2 deep end. My pump quit and the valve head on my sand filter is very hard to turn to filter and to backwash. It's about 12 years old. I am looking for replacement and want to know 1. Can I go to a cartridge filter? 2. I am told I need a 1.5 HP pump and 24 inch sand filter if I go back to that. Would anyone recommend just replacing the top valve piece and buy a new pump. 3. I have come across an "off brand" pump and filter...if we are selling our house, would anyone go this route. Lastly, while researching, how come so many people use rigid piping and not flexible hose to connect everything. Please help! Thanks

Welcome to TFP :)

1. Yes, but most everyone stays with what they know... The bigger the filter the better, at about 30000 gallons I would go to a 520 pentair or a TR100 sand filter
2. a 1hp 2 speed would be just about perfect for what you explain
3. If selling, replace the 6 way on the sand filter you have and replace just the motor on the pump you have, that will save the most money
4. Most go with hard pipe because most of the time it lasts longer and just a better option unless there is a reason to go with flex hose, the biggest reason is price...

I hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.