Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Plus...To Add or Not to Add?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Plus...To Add or Not to Add?

I opened my pool last week. It is an inground, vinyl, 20,000 pool. It was previously a green swamp, but has improved substantially since. I noticed the last two days though, the rate at which it is clearing up has slowed significantly. I am maintaining the recommended chlorine level for a SLAM. I then read the guidance sheet in the TF test kit and noticed it says that a low calcium hardness can lead to cloudy water, regardless of which type of pool you have. I measured CH at 150 ppm. I bought enough to raise it to 250 ppm and plan on adding it.

The 'recommended levels' page on the Pool School page says to NOT add calcium to a vinyl pool, yet the test kit says that low CH can lead to cloudy water regardless. So what is the consensus on balancing CH in a vinyl pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Calcium Plus...To Add or Not to Add?

CH is not causing your cloudiness. Don't put it in. CH in a vinyl pool is simply not really needed although some vinyl people say 150 ppm which is where you are anyway.

Add ing CH to your water will NEVER reduce your cloudiness. That cloudiness is a result of your chemistry or insufficient filtering. Can you post a full set of test results? That'll probably give us a clue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm an idiot and realize the laminated sheet said that TOO HIGH of CH can cause cloudiness, not too low. Oh well, I'll consider it a waste of $17 for a bucket of CH and a lesson learned. I think this is just a case of me being impatient. I'm having to backwash every two days, indicating the filter is continuing to trap the dead algae. I will wait a few more days, and hopefully it will clear to my liking.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have a sand filter you could try adding a little DE to it to help trap the small stuff-

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Adding DE may help. Anything you can do to boost the circulation - pointing a return at the bottom, brushing, Setting the vacuum head down in the deep end upside down or on its side to act as a drain- will get those fine particles sucked through the filter. You need to keep that stuff suspended in the water so the filter can grab it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey I don't want to hijack, and this seems on target, I'll move to a new thread if you think it isn't
    - if you add DE per the link above, do you have to re-add it after every backwash? In other words, will a backwash flush out the DE or does it remain in the sand?
    Intex 16'x32'x54" 17Kgal AGP since 2014. Sand filter, Hayward skimmer, home built 10'x15' deck and stairs, solar heater. High TA tap water, moderate rainfall, weekly use. Treated with 10% bleach, MA and some dichlor initially. Soon to add borates.
    Taylor K2006C
    Future projects - automatic chlorine pump, online pool sensors, better heater, IGP (maybe)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by welbo View Post
    Hey I don't want to hijack, and this seems on target, I'll move to a new thread if you think it isn't
    - if you add DE per the link above, do you have to re-add it after every backwash? In other words, will a backwash flush out the DE or does it remain in the sand?
    It washes out with every backwash and has to be replaced.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I was a little frustrated at how slow the pool was clearing up after being a swamp all winter. Going on almost two weeks, maintaining the correct SLAM level, and seeing a real slow improvement every day, I decided to add some Pool First Aid that was left over from a previous owner. 16 hours later, the pool is almost perfectly clear. I suppose it could be a coincidence, and the chlorine could have cleared the remaining cloudiness that remained in that short of time, but I think that the Pool First Aid helped out a lot.

The part that I'm confused about is that the filter pressure did not go up as much as I would have thought considering how much more clear it is today over yesterday. It's almost like the Pool First Aid 'disintegrated' (I'm really showing my lack of chemistry knowledge here), rather than trap it all.

I'm a full supporter of the TFPC method, and will definitely use it the remainder of the summer, now that the pool is clear, and save loads of money using only liquid chlorine. My question is...in the initial SLAM after the winter when the pool is green, could you actually save money by adding a bottle of Pool First Aid, rather than the equivalent amount of liquid chlorine jugs it would take? Not to mention it taking less time to clear with the Pool First Aid?
    20,000 gallon in-ground pool; vinyl liner; Hayward 1 HP Max-Flo XL Pump; Hayward Pro Series 21 in. Sand Filter.