Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching to a SWG, are there pros and cons?

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching to a SWG, are there pros and cons?

Are there any write ups on the pros and cons of switching to a SWG? I'm told the biggest advantage is that I don't have to constantly maintain the pool chlorine level. It's for our summer home which will save me the hassle of making weekly trips to the house in order to maintain the pool chemistry.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Switching to a SWG, are there pros and cons?

There are loads of threads on this site discussing just that if you search.

If for a pool you aren't around every day as you mentioned, the only concern I'll mention is getting stable TA and PH. Many people have constant PH rise with a SWG. I personally do not. Once I get my TA in the 60-80 range at the beginning of summer swim season, I almost never need to adjust my PH with acid.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

So far so good for me.I love it.I test my water on Sundays.PH stays 7.5 Alk has been 80.Did drop to 70 this morning.Biggest thing my Chlorine level stays consistent at 7.5 Biggest breaker for me was the cost for sure.I finally bought one first of the year because it was a steal.Should have bought two for the price

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I've never seen a thread asking how to program a bleach jug, nor asking what this light or this code means on a bleach jug.

All the SWG eliminates is buying, carrying, and pouring bleach jugs. Everything else is the same with a SWG pool. Regular testing, pH adjustments, brushing, vacuuming, all the same. It's not set-it-and-forget-it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!