solar gl 235 sensor placement?

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
Does it matter where I mount the one on solar panels?

is better to mount on the cooler side going in or the hotter side coming off the roof?

the other I assume is mounted by the pump.

I didn't find any instructions

Just to be clear the solar sensor does measure water temperature but goes on the outside of the pipe and is used to measure direct solar temperature. If the panels are on the roof and have full visibility of the sky, it doesn't really matter where you put the sensor but it should be close to the panels and get approximately the same sunlight.

However, the water temperature probe should go after the filter and before the solar valve.

The water temperature probe requires a small hole to be drilled in the pipe and the sensor is inserted into the pipe. It should have a small o-ring on it so it seals with the pipe and you use a hose clamp to hold it against the pipe like this:

2cmowns.jpg

Just to be clear the solar sensor does measure water temperature but goes on the outside of the pipe and is used to measure direct solar temperature. If the panels are on the roof and have full visibility of the sky, it doesn't really matter where you put the sensor but it should be close to the panels and get approximately the same sunlight.

However, the water temperature probe should go after the filter and before the solar valve.

Thats the part I was confused about on my thread. I thought the solar sensor went in the pipe just like the other sensor. It looks the exact same so I thought it mounted the exact same. It even has o-ring on it as well...

The same sensor is used but it is installed differently because it is measuring different things (water vs sun).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.