Water Bugs

May 9, 2015
Northeast, OK
Being a pool owner for only one year now, I thought I would try to really stay ahead of my bleach this year to avoid issues with water bugs. I have even been dumping extra bleach; test and scrub, vacuum, skim daily (some of those several times/day).

So why in good heavens did I just remove a stick bug from the pool yesterday (about the 4th one this season) and about 3 backswimmers this morning? I thought I had the 'food supply' issue under control and yet it's pretty clear my pretty sparkling blue water has hidden issues. On a positive note - I have noticed DRAMATIC improvement with little to no Boatmens. Last year they were my biggest challenge. I thought the backswimmers feasted on boatmen and the boatmen feasted on algae...I'm about ready to throw this pool in the garbage! LOL...

My latest numbers are:

FC - 8.5 / CC - 0
pH - 8.0 (I have also been struggling with keeping my pH down...yesterday the calculator told me to add 27oz and yet this morning, we are back up to 8.0 again! Calculator now suggests adding 43 more oz of m. acid)
CYA- 45
TA - 157
CH - 448

Any input would be welcome :)

SOONER :)

I also had the exact same issues and some great person on TFP found that BioGuard Back Up works great at keeping bugs dead in pools, it takes the surface tension of the water so they can not float on the top and takes the air away for the underwater one's

I used 1/2 bottle last year and killed all of them, this year they showed back up and poured the other half and all are gone again :)

Amazon.com : BioGuard Back Up - Quart : Swimming Pool Chemicals And Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden

now let's get that PH and TA under control, follow this below to drop you TA and PH

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I hope this helps :)

Thanks for this, Cowboy! I replied to you yesterday but don't see my post :/

I was saying that I had tried that stuff; the BioGuard, last year when my numbers where more outrageous than now and that out of desperation I will give it another shot :) The TA and CH are a pain in the backside but have both been much higher...a work in progress...

No problem, did it work last year at all? within a day they are all dead in mine, really within 30 minutes.. I know about the work in progress, but once you get TA down it will be so much easier :)

Well then, Cowboy, and whoever else is interested; let me reply with my latest results as of today.... NO BUGS!!!! Not a one!! Whoop. Whoop!

My numbers today are similar, however, note my TA is lookin' kinda saweeet! ;)

FC - 11 (Guess it takes living at about 11 to AVOID the BUGGIES - in my case anyway!!) Guns still there, ;)
CC - 0
pH - 8.00 (Daily struggle to keep it down to 7.6ish) (Yikes) :eek:
CYA - 40 (Likee like)
TA - 130 (I'll TAKE IT) :)
CH - 538 (Yikes) :eek:

Off now to catch up on my Game of Thrones :) :)

No problem, did it work last year at all? within a day they are all dead in mine, really within 30 minutes.. I know about the work in progress, but once you get TA down it will be so much easier :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - and no, I did not think the BioGuard worked too hot last year, but then again my numbers were much worse. I will keep ya posted on the latest results!!

Following for the same problem. I've been at SLAM level for 3 days and just found a colony of young water bugs swimming around. I think they like the chlorine!

I also read somewhere that putting a little dawn in your pool will do wonders for cleaning the surface of the water. All of the floating sunscreen goes to the sides and can be wiped up. If it kills bugs too that would be an awesome tidbit for the board.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.