If this Shock Plus product isn't a sanitizer, what is it?

kai3

Jun 12, 2013
Boston
I bought a box of Chlorox Shock Plus, active ingredient Sodium dichlor
(like this: Clorox Pool and Spa Shock Plus, 12-Pack - Walmart.com)

And I just finished using it for my pool opening which was battling massive algae, when I looked at the box and it said:
"Not for use as a sanitizer or algaecide."
I am waiting on a refill kit to test my other chemicals, but it indeed was adding chlorine (along with stabilizer I think so I'm switching to bleach as soon as I can). So what does that mean? Why would it say it's not a sanitizer

Thanks!
Kai

Well, this is what they say it contains:
Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione 58%
aluminium sulfate 7-13%
Boron salt Trade Secret 7-13%

We battle algae by conducting a SLAM Process

For that you need a test kit to deliver measured doses of chlorine. Dumping in bags of dichlor untested would not be one of our recommendations.

That's a very good question. I have no answer for you. As far as I know, once dichlor is mixed with water, it releases Chlorine which is both an algaecide and a sanitizer. Maybe you should email Chloroxpools customer service and ask them what the stuff IS good for?

pool shock is most often Calcium Hypochlorite ...think of it as granular bleach...and bleach is the same thing as chlorine essentially, just a molecule off.

The only difference between the pool store chlorine and your local stores household bleach, is the strength. Pool Store Chlorine is usually 10-12%, where as store bleach is 5-6% and the price is comparable. So you're better off getting chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.