Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can anyone help me determine gallons in this irregular pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can anyone help me determine gallons in this irregular pool?

I'm ready to start adjusting my water but I have no idea how many gallons are in this pool. My inspector when I bought the house estimated 30,000 I think. My estimates after trying a variety of methods ranged from 25,000 to 32,000. Pool store guy said 37,000. Any math wizzes out there?

pool size.jpgpool_23k.jpgpool_29k.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Can anyone help me determine gallons in this irregular pool?

while a pain, use the bottom of pool math cut each of your sections and input into it..

the deep end looks to be 12 x 14 at 9 feet deep = 11,300 gallons http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

You only have to do it once
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I had tried that but my numbers come out drastically different depending on method used. I did it again with the picture I just made for this post:

Using this method I get 23k:

Using this method I get 29k:

... but the kicker is if I change something small like the starting depth from 3.5 feet to 4 feet, I get another 1,000 gallons in the pool (30,000 instead of 29,000).

4. Back To Top    #4

I split it up into 4 sections.

Half a circle with 16' diameter 9' deep
    12*16 with a slope from 4.5 to 9
    A strange wedge shape 18 * (18>6) * (3>4.5)
    6.5 * 7 * (0>3)

I get 23,000 gallons.

Dose the pool at 23000 and check your changes against Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath. If you come up short or over, adjust the pool volume.

Or burn up a lot of reagent using A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!