Pool deck question - confused

Jun 9, 2015
East Meadow/NY
Hello everyone,

I just came back from the building department and when they looked at my plot plan they asked me how was I planning on getting into my pool (semi inground with fiberglass steps). I told him that I was just going to add steps to go up to the pool steps. The plan examiner said you are going to put up a deck. I told eventually (he was right I was going to but I was not going to tell the town). He wants me to submit plans with a deck in order for him to process. I plan on doing the deck myself. Now my question is about the deck. I've seen some videos and plans with 2x6's nailed onto the 4x4 post (image attached) and majority of the plans show hoist over beams. It would be some much easier to frame onto the post. I just want to know which is correct so I can draw it up and submit my pool application. Please help!

I live in Nassau county, NY (Town of Hempstead).

Thank you.
501cf64ae8cfd2391eca02034e822f25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The no digs are a no go around here. We have to dig footers, place minimum of 6x6 which are then notched and double 2x8 minmum joists are bolted with galvanized bolts and then the joists can sit on top of this and be cantilevered. Very strong, but labor intensive costly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.