Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool deck question - confused

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool deck question - confused

Hello everyone,

I just came back from the building department and when they looked at my plot plan they asked me how was I planning on getting into my pool (semi inground with fiberglass steps). I told him that I was just going to add steps to go up to the pool steps. The plan examiner said you are going to put up a deck. I told eventually (he was right I was going to but I was not going to tell the town). He wants me to submit plans with a deck in order for him to process. I plan on doing the deck myself. Now my question is about the deck. I've seen some videos and plans with 2x6's nailed onto the 4x4 post (image attached) and majority of the plans show hoist over beams. It would be some much easier to frame onto the post. I just want to know which is correct so I can draw it up and submit my pool application. Please help!

I live in Nassau county, NY (Town of Hempstead).

Thank you.

14x22 radiant freeform, 6800 gallons, Semi AG, DE Hayward, Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-HP, installing 7/14/2016, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool deck question - confused

14x22 radiant freeform, 6800 gallons, Semi AG, DE Hayward, Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-HP, installing 7/14/2016, TF100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I just want to know which is correct
    Both will surely meet c ode but that code for decks is local so you should have your plans cleared locally just in case there are any special circumstances.

Structurally, both are fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like my plan examiner said I don't have to submit my permit app with the deck anymore. So now I am thinking about making the deck with the no dig piers.

5. Back To Top    #5

The no digs are a no go around here. We have to dig footers, place minimum of 6x6 which are then notched and double 2x8 minmum joists are bolted with galvanized bolts and then the joists can sit on top of this and be cantilevered. Very strong, but labor intensive costly.

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in long island also and even if you don't need a permit you should build the deck on footing that go three feet underground which is below the frost line for our area any questions just ask I was a carpenter for over thirty years