Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak R4350ti-E 85,000 BTU Titanium Digital Heat Pump opinions

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak R4350ti-E 85,000 BTU Titanium Digital Heat Pump opinions

I'm looking to purchase a heat pump for my pool within the next month. I'm on a tight budget and I don't want to spend more than $2,500 on the heater. I live in northern New Jersey and I'm only looking to heat the pool during summer months (June-August). I have a 16x32 20,000 gallon in ground pool. The pool currently has solar panels installed on the roof to heat the water. After I install the heat pump, the solar panels will only be used to help maintain the temperature the heat pump brings the temperature to (the solar panels only get about 5 hours of sun a day). I have narrowed down my search between the Raypak R4350ti 85,000 BTU heat pump and the Pentair UltraTemp 70 75,000 BTU heat pump. The Raypak heat pump has a higher BTU rating and is about $300.00-$400.00 cheaper than the Pentair unit. Does anyone on here have experience with the Raypak heat pumps? I wan't to make sure the unit is reliable before I spend $2,000 on it.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raypak R4350ti-E 85,000 BTU Titanium Digital Heat Pump opinions

Anyone?

3. Back To Top    #3

Heat pumps are ideal for maintaining, gas heaters are better suited to getting up to temp. If you have solar panels then stick with a gas heater. Lower initial cost, quicker heating. Don't forget, heat pump efficiency drops as the ambient temperature drops. You won't likely be dipping in the pool when it's 55 degrees out but nighttime temps can get low even in the summer and a gas heater will get it toasty by dawn regardless of overnight temp. But hey, this is just my opinion.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I am not too familiar with heat pumps but, at 75-85,000 BTU output and ~200,000 Lbs of water I would imagine it will only return to the pool about 1/3 - 1/2 deg/hr.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

@Geebot, I considered a gas heater, however, I want something that will help maintain the temperature in the pool that won't cost a lot to run. Based on my research, heat pumps offer about 60-80% energy savings as compared to gas heaters.

@danpik, According to what I've found online, a heat pump should be sized 4 BTU's per every gallon of water. So 4 x 20,000= 80,000 BTU's. Based on what I've read, the heat pump should raise the water temperature about a degree every hour.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Do you use a solar blanket on your pool when you are not using it?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, the only time the solar cover comes off is when it's warm/sunny out and when I use the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by smiticans View Post
    @Geebot, I considered a gas heater, however, I want something that will help maintain the temperature in the pool that won't cost a lot to run. Based on my research, heat pumps offer about 60-80% energy savings as compared to gas heaters.

@danpik, According to what I've found online, a heat pump should be sized 4 BTU's per every gallon of water. So 4 x 20,000= 80,000 BTU's. Based on what I've read, the heat pump should raise the water temperature about a degree every hour.
    The time to heat is very dependent on ambient temperature, I think your estimate is too high, danpik's is closer to real-world conditions, about 1/2 degree per hour for 80-degree ambient temp. And again, if overnight temperatures drop the unit may shut down completely.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll have to do more research on the unit. It has a defrost mode, but the unit would never be running overnight anyway. It would only be on during the day when I have the filter running.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Just curious, what is the price per therm (100,000 BTU) for Nat gas in your area. Gas heaters get a bad rap for some reason. Mine is a 100,000 BTU input and it cost me about $.75/hr to run last year.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Not sure I'll have to check and get back to you. The electricity around here is about 10.90 cents per kWh. So the heat pump would cost about $.43 an hour to run.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    Just curious, what is the price per therm (100,000 BTU) for Nat gas in your area. Gas heaters get a bad rap for some reason. Mine is a 100,000 BTU input and it cost me about $.75/hr to run last year.
    I'm not sure if I read the bill properly, but I believe the cost is $.78 per therm