Low pressure on filter- help please!

Jfoote

May 29, 2016
Ny
Hi everyone! I'm still a bit new with everything pool related and foolishly decided to get a new filter I don't know as much about lol. It is an above ground pool probably 26-28 feet round. We just switched from a sand filter to a pressure cartridge filter. We got every thing hooked up like the fellas at the store told us to and are finding we have pressure issues. We filled the pump basket with water then turned it on- things looked great for a few seconds in there. It was full of water and then it was depleted. We filled the pressure carteidge filter with water and had let excess air out of the air release valve. Whenever we turn it on the pressure on the filter remains at 0 and the pump basket/ bucket thing has low water volume once we turn it on and the water return has low pressure sending it back to the pool. We are trying to open it and clean it so could the issue be the dirty water? Or is there something special we need to do to get the pressure up? Can we "prime" this type of pump?

The only way we can get the pressure up is by stopping the water from returning to be pool, and as soon as we open that back up the pressure bottoms out again.

I hope all of this makes sense as I'm not the most educated when it comes to pools. Thanks everyone in advance for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.