One timer for two motors on different circuit breakers

jaya

May 28, 2016
Tewksbury
Greetings

I just bought a house with a pool. The pool pump is wired to a timer. The polaris motor is wired to a switch. The same switch is also wired to the pump so that if the polaris is on, the pump is on. The timer is only effective when the polaris switch is off.

I would rather that the timer be the driving force. The switch will turn the polaris on/off, but only if the timer is active. But, each motor is on it's own circuit breaker (both 115v motors).

The timer is an intermatic T104P, which says it's a DPST but only has one set of terminals.
So I would like to get this: Intermatic T100 Series 40 Amp 208-277-Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch with Outdoor Enclosure-T104RD89 - The Home Depot

My question is, though, is this ok? Is it sound to run two completely independent circuits through the same timer box? The picture on that timer shows the neutral running to each line, so that would go away. One neutral would go to the A terminal to power the motor, then just line/load for each motor.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm in the learning phase of this project.

Thank you.

Welcome to TFPs

I do not think that will work. The timer is set up for 220 which means it has no neutral line. I'm sure it could be modified but that's not your question.

I assume these are on GFCIs. Therefore they should be on separate timers. Just have the two timers next to each other and set the same.
You could do this with a relay also.

The best thing is probably to get rid of the booster pump and buy a robot. Expensive but much less expensive to operate.

I purchased the timer today and saw that the two wires are actually for the motor. I was hoping to edit this message before anyone saw it. :)

I will look into the robot option. I thought that's what the Polaris was considered, and I'm not familiar with other options, so will look into it. They are GFCI breakers.

I sent a couple messages on Angies List looking for an electrician.

Thanks for the info.

Lets clear up a couple of things first.
Are you saying that you already have a T104 timer?
You also said that both pumps are 115 volts, is this correct?

If the power going to timer is 230 volts then what you want to do is possible. You can even run both motors from the timer if they're separately powered as long as you have 230 volts to power the timer separately.

If both pumps are indeed 115 volts then you really should buy a timer with a 115 volt clock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.