Dirty Cartridge Filter

MAndrews1

May 3, 2016
Toledo, OH
Hello. I replaced my sand filter with a cartridge filter this year. When I started it up it was running around 12 psi. About an hour or so later the psi was around 25, suction was down, and so was the flow back to the pool. I took the cartridge out to make sure that was the problem ... and it was as I was back to 12psi w/o the cartridge.

Is it normal for these to get this dirty at opening? I have hosed it off about 4 times today. The cartridge is out of the filter right now. I don't know what will happen if I ran it all night. I'd be well past 50psi most likely.

Do the cartridge spray cleaners really work?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

We'll need a full set of test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit to know more. Based on your initial description though, I suspect you have the beginning signs of an algae bloom that is clogging-up your filter. Your cartridges should only require a periodic garden hose nozzle spraying every so often. Not numerous times a day or week.

You don't vacum into a cartridge filter. You have algae or something organic in the pool.

You need to SLAM the pool. Why don't you post full test results. Shocking is just slowing it down.

TFP believes in the total war approach to killing algae so post some test results and we can get you a clean pool, you will have to clean the filter twice a year and you will spend more time drinking in the pool

I'll give you a heads-up now .... those test results won't help us. There are too many inconsistencies with pool store testing. You'll need one of the recommended test kits of your own. Even their best off the shelf test kit probably only tests FC up to about 5 ppm, so it won't help you if you need to perform a "SLAM".

I'll give you a heads-up now .... those test results won't help us. There are too many inconsistencies with pool store testing. You'll need one of the recommended test kits of your own. Even their best off the shelf test kit probably only tests FC up to about 5 ppm, so it won't help you if you need to perform a "SLAM".
I am in need of a new test kit this year. Can I generally pick one up at the store? Any price ideas?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes exactly. I recommend the TF-100 (link in my sig below) because you receive larger amount of reagents identical to what you get in the Taylor packages. It's just a better value as you can see HERE. The only other two things I would recommend since I suspect you have an algae bloom starting is to add the "XL Option" and "Speed Stir" to your order. The XL gives you even more reagents for the "SLAM" and the speed stir makes mixing efficient and easy. A fantastic tool to have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.