Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter pump sucking my skimmer plate in

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter pump sucking my skimmer plate in

Ok, I was trying to get my pool clean and ready for this Memorial Day weekend. I have an Intex Pro Series frame pool, 16x48 5,000+ gallons. I have a 2650gph sand filter pump with salt water system.

The problem I am having is that when I put my skimmer plate into my skimmer to vacuum out the pool, the suction is so great that the skimmer plate collapses in and the skimmer even gets sucked in. It looks like an empty soda bottle when you suck the air out. I checked all my hoses, no cloggs or anything to cause it to try to suck everything in. Everything is flowing fine until I put the skimmer plate on with the vacuum hose attached. Idk what to do to prevent this. Can't clean the bottom of pool if I can't suck up the dirt. Any ideas??

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sand filter pump sucking my skimmer plate in

Welcome to TFP

We have seen that problem before, the skimmer is made from very cheap plastic and just can not handle the suction with that pump and vacuuming..

Most change out the skimmer like I did in my sig below

Intex Ultra Frame - replacing intex pump with a Hayward
    Cutting Larger Intake Return holes in your Intex
    Thru Wall Skimmer Install. Above Seam With Intex Hoses
    Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

You just have a lot of suction. Since the skimmer plate is junk anyway, this won't hurt. Drill a relief hole in it. Start small, maybe 1/4" That might reduce the suction enough so it doesn't collapse but still provide enough pull to vacuum. Enlarge it if you need to. And if the experiment fails, so what? You needed a stronger vacuum plate anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You just have a lot of suction. Since the skimmer plate is junk anyway, this won't hurt. Drill a relief hole in it. Start small, maybe 1/4" That might reduce the suction enough so it doesn't collapse but still provide enough pull to vacuum. Enlarge it if you need to. And if the experiment fails, so what? You needed a stronger vacuum plate anyway.
    good catch Richard, I was thinking the skimmer not the skimmer plate
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Any suggestions on a different, more sturdy skimmer plate??want to know in case the relief hole doesn't work out.

Thanks for the idea.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Pooldummy1989 View Post
    Any suggestions on a different, more sturdy skimmer plate??want to know in case the relief hole doesn't work out.

Thanks for the idea.
    Not from me. I like to live dangerously and connect the vacuum straight into the suction port, with a PVC plumbing adaptor to keep the hose collar from getting sucked in to plug the pipes.

This is actually upside down. The hose slips over the skinny part and the coupler fits down inside the hole and rests on a lip.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!