Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable speed pump and pool timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable speed pump and pool timer

First post... I installed a Hayward Salt System today. The intermatic pool timer was beat and part of it snapped while I was pulling the wires. It's a 220 volt.

I have been thinking of getting a variable speed pump. My little 1hp for my 13,000 gallon pool has a hard time moving the vacuum while the skimmer is on.

Anyways, before I spend $60 on a new pool timer - do the hayward variable timers get wired with constant power? Or do I still run/power it from the pool timer?

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable speed pump and pool timer

Variable speed pumps have built in timers and should be wired directly to a circuit breaker.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

So then do you wire the salt system control box to the pump? Or breaker as well?

4. Back To Top    #4

No, my SWG is wired to its own timer and I set it to run inside the run window for the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

So how do you get them to kick on at the same time? I mean I'm guessing they're "close enough"?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't want constant power to the sale system right?

6. Back To Top    #6

That is correct, the SWG should not be powered up when the pump is not running, they can explode from gas build up.

I check the times from time to time to make sure they are synced up. Then I always set the SWG to come on 20 or 30 minutes after the pump starts and the SWG always turns off well before the pump shuts off because I run my pump a lot more than my SWG. Pump is running sun up to sunset right now for solar heat. SWG runs 7 or 8 hours.
    TFP Moderator