Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help. Failed pool school

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help. Failed pool school

Hello, I really need help getting my new Intex 22x52 round pool up and running with SWG. I shocked the pool this morning (worried about all the rain water) and tool a sample to my local pool store.

FC=3
    TAC=3
    SALT=300 (I have not added any)
    CH=200
    CYA=30 (purchased HTH from Walmart)
    TA=220
    PH=7.4

Do I need to shock again in order to bring up the FC?
    I do not have a skimmer yet (It's in the mail) so... do I add the stabilizer directly to the water?
    How do I bring down the TA? (I have acid but don't know when to use it)
    When do I add the salt?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Never Liked Chemistry
    Intex 22 x 52 Round Pool
    SWG and Standard Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help. Failed pool school

Hello and welcome to TFP! Actually, before you do anything you would be best served to obtain the correct test kit. Those test results may seem good, but the pool store tests are often flawed and provide little to no improvement to pool owners. Your best option is to first get either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I would not adjust anything until I had reliable test results from one of those kits. If your water is cloudy or green from algae, you'll then need to SLAM via the link below in my signature. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions about the SLAM or proper test kit.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Test kit is in the mail. Delayed by storms and flooding in Houston area. Water is clear. Is there anything I can do or should do while waiting for my test kit.
    Never Liked Chemistry
    Intex 22 x 52 Round Pool
    SWG and Standard Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Outstanding! I would simply add about 1/2 gallon of bleach to the water each evening. Just your regular old Bravo (HEB) or Great Value (Wal-Mart) plain bleach. Brush and move the water around each day just to keep things stirred-up. Once you get the kit, you'll use the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) to get a specific FC reading and nail this thing down. I don't want you to waste money until then.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your help.

Are you recommending that I do not add the salt at this time?(Wait before starting the SGW)
    Will it be safe for my grandson be able to swim with the bleach?
    Will I hurt anything or unbalance anything if I add the chlorine pucks (I have some that were donated)?

Thanks again. I wish I would have paid more attention in my chemistry class
    Never Liked Chemistry
    Intex 22 x 52 Round Pool
    SWG and Standard Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

You can add the salt, that's fine. As for swimming, the TFP general rule is you can swim as long as you can see through the water to the bottom (not a swamp) and the FC level is not above the SLAM level - in your case probably about 12. Add the bleach slowly near a return jet and let is mix real good for about 20-30 minutes. You can sweep it a round a bit as well and it will be fine. Don't use the pucks yet. They will still be good even if we don't us them right away.

7. Back To Top    #7

I thank you. My children thank you. Most importantly, my grandson thank you.

Pool will be ready for Memorial Day!!!!!
    Never Liked Chemistry
    Intex 22 x 52 Round Pool
    SWG and Standard Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

We'll help you get through this.