Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Husband vs SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Husband vs SWG

Slammed pool all week and waiting for my FC to drift down. Slow go. It's 19-20 right now. DH thinks the SWG should be left on at a low 5 % so it will be producing when it needs to. I say off until I get closer to my numbers. Running pump 8'hrs. He doesn't subscribe to TFP, so it's been a battle. SWG is sized for 40,000 gal. Anyone want to tell me I'm right? Thanks in advance.
    IG 15,000 gal vinyl Grecian SW, Hayward SWG, Pentair whisper flow pump, sand filter, Aquacal ice breaker heat pump. Finished August 2015, screen enclosure, TF 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Husband vs SWG

Is this a trick question? Which is right? ...... wife or husband? Always defer to the wife first. That's how I have managed to survive this long. Add to that he doesn't monitor TFP and you win that argument hands-down.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'd say either way would work but I see no point in producing ANY chlorine when you are trying to reduce it. What is the point?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Lol! Just say "yes dear". Thanks guys. I just better make sure I get the SWG on board before he sees me dumping bleach in the water!
    IG 15,000 gal vinyl Grecian SW, Hayward SWG, Pentair whisper flow pump, sand filter, Aquacal ice breaker heat pump. Finished August 2015, screen enclosure, TF 100

5. Back To Top    #5

Wife-1, husband-0 Turn it off until you reach your goal level. Wasting electric and time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Wasting electric and time.
    Just how much electricity and time are we talking about here ? She is debating whether it is a bad idea to generate chlorine for 24 minutes per day.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

7. Back To Top    #7

This is so easy. Not. Happy Wife, Happy Life. Whatever way works best For me, it's SWG off and enter a reminder.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

8. Back To Top    #8

He's wrong. Happy wife, Happy Life.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Leave the SWG on at 5% to appease him. Then turn the pump down to 3 hours per day. The little bit of FC you get is like spitting in the ocean that way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Leave the SWG on at 5% to appease him. Then turn the pump down to 3 hours per day. The little bit of FC you get is like spitting in the ocean that way.
    Such a way with words that REALLY get the idea across! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Very funny! And no I'm not doing that. I like the happy wife replies better! 17.5 FC earlier today. Getting ready to put on an old suit and brave it. I miss my pool therapy.

12. Back To Top    #12

Every time I see this thread title I imagine hubby hauling bleach cartons up a steep pathway with the caption "...but honey, it was on sale"
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

13. Back To Top    #13

Lol! I hauled my own bleach bottles, no cartons! Btw all 4 of them are sitting unopened in the laundry room. Might give in and turn the SWG on very low tomorrow. Spit a little chlorine in to the ocean as previously posted! Still at 17.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Great advise Richard you are a sly one
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

15. Back To Top    #15

Cheers to you, Diane, from another TFP wife with a non-subscribing DH. :eyeroll: It gets old, constantly having to come to the forum to look up whatever stats or info it is we're discussing at the moment, to prove I actually *am* right. "Honey... don't worry about the pool... I'll take care of the whole thing for you so you can just enjoy it" only worked for a summer or so.... one little hiccup or issue, and he starts buzzing around. Shoo fly! I got this! LOL

Stay strong, sister girl!!

Cathy
    28,600 gal, IG vinyl, St. Louis, MO - Installed: 09/2012
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

16. Back To Top    #16

LOL My husband's only job is to brush the sides of the pool. The one time he thought it did not need done for a while was quite an eye opener for him. I was in the pool and noticed a slight green color on the sides. Brushed it with my hand and poof, a green cloud. hummmm I called him over and asked when was the last time he brushed the pool. "I'm not sure. It looked good to me so it has been a while." I brushed my hand on another spot and he got to see the green cloud. He did not say a word. Just jumped in (fulled clothed LOL) and brushed the side! It has not been a problem since!

GIRL POWER to the max!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for the support girls (and guys). It's an uphill battle. Fortunately he's over it. We were unfortunately told how much easier a SW pool was. Just throw a bag of salt in once in awhile. And that worked until the mystery algae showed up this spring. Oh well, I hope I finally got it and I'm allowed to say the word "pool" again.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Diane T. View Post
    Thanks for the support girls (and guys). It's an uphill battle. Fortunately he's over it. We were unfortunately told how much easier a SW pool was. Just throw a bag of salt in once in awhile. And that worked until the mystery algae showed up this spring. Oh well, I hope I finally got it and I'm allowed to say the word "pool" again.
    Someone gave you some incorrect information.

An SWG IS easier than a normal pool. But it has nothing to do with throwing salt in. You don't need to add salt hardly ever. The key is knowing how to maintain your pool properly, which we can teach here.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

Love this thread. I also do all the pool maintenance other than the brushing. If my husband asks what I'm doing or why I just tell him that I've got it and if I have a question I'll ask on "my" pool forum. Other than him thinking I spend way too much on the pool he pretty much lets me do my thing and he just enjoys our sparkling water.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system