sandpaper feel on bottom

Another new guy, great site.

29000 gal saline pool, sand filter vinyl sided. Opened with algae bloom. (every year assuming bc of tree filled landscape) Added bleach, baking soda, borax and 14 tbs copper sulfate, this year much to my pool guys chagrin but was tired of the pool store pricing. Fourth year and always have troubles balancing.

salinator not on yet due to low CYA although I'm now at 53 (60-200) Ph 8, Alk 225, pool still green and bottom is rough like sandpaper....7 more bags of shock last night added 1lb clarifier and ph minus this morning.
My question; this our first experience w the scaly bottom. Have brushed and vacuumed multiple times. What's the first thing we should do to clear the bottom.

p.s. My fiancé is gonna cry if I can't get this thing opened. So please help!!!

Hello GD and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, a few things struck me as I read your post. One is that you are adding some pool store products we would not recommend - at least not at this time. And because you may be going to the pool store, is that where you also got your test results? Or do you have your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? That would be ideal and your first step. I would not add anything to that water at this time other than muriatic acid (to lower ph to 7.2) and regular bleach to maintain a "SLAM" FC level (link below).

As for the sandpaper feel ... maybe calcium build-up. But we would need to see a full set of test results to know for sure. Please confirm how you are testing and we can go from there. Great to have you with us.

Welcome! Hope you come back so we can help.