Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: There has got to be a better way....

1. Back To Top    #1

Forest, VA

There has got to be a better way....

Could someone please help me out determining the best most accurate way to find out the cya level? I have a Taylor 2005 test kit. The cya markings go from 30-100. The way I have been doing the test seems extremely subjective. I mean the disappearing little black dot? I can't tell if I see it or not, or just the way I'm looking down at the tube, the way the sun is pointing. I get ranges after anywhere from less than 30 to 40. This leaves me with what target FC level to go with. I have tried to be consistent with my back towards the sun and the tube in the shadow but I just never get the same reading. Is there a better testing method or am I just stuck making educated guesses?
    10,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: There has got to be a better way....

Nope - you're stuck. We all are. Just practice and keep using the same mixed solution to go back & forth multiple times to try and get a good average result. It can play tricks with your eyes. Perhaps pour some into the viewing tube, look away briefly, the re-focus on the dot. Have someone else try as well a couple times to compare results. In time you'll become more comfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the video: Testing Cyanuric Acid with the TF-100 - YouTube
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

If you feel you need to calibrate your testing you can get a standard solution:

Use that and find the lighting that gives you a reading of 50 and that is the lighting that will give you the most accurate result when you test your own water.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

You can order a 50 CYA standard solution. Mix it up just like you would pool water and then experiment with lighting and hand positioning and distance until you see 50. Then repeat the test using pool water under exactly the same conditions.

It's R-7065 solution. You can order any other refills or a speedstir at the same time
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!