Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Numbers - First Time Opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Numbers - First Time Opening

Hello everyone. Opened my pool at my new house for the first time today. Everything went well with the open. Water's a little cloudy, but the filter is doing its job so far.

Here are my numbers.

FC - 5
    pH - 8.2
    TA - 160
    CYA - 30

I know the pH and TA need to come down. There's an article in Pool School that basically says to take the pH down to 7.2 and then bring it back up through aeration. I have a return jet that can be plugged which would divert the water to another return jet above it which is above the water line, thus spitting the water into the pool like a fountain and providing aeration. The pool school article says the muriatic acid will bring down both the pH and TA and then the aeration will raise the pH without affecting TA. Is it that simple? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

Brian
    27,0000 gallon In-Ground Plaster Kidney Shaped Pool - Approximately 30 years old
    Hayward Superpump
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE4820 Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Numbers - First Time Opening

Yup, its that simple although it may take a few doses of MA to resolve the high TA.

How is your CH? You didn't list it. And do you have zero CCs?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, it is pretty simple to use MA to lower pH and TA. Your pool with find a level it likes for TA that keeps the pH steady. Try lowering the TA a couple of times and bring the pH back to 7.5, then wait a couple of days to see if your pH remains stable. The only reason to adjust TA is to find the level that keeps your pH stable, so don't worry if the number looks "high" or "low".
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You got it. No need to dump in acid to lower TA and then add pH Increaser to raise pH back up. Believe it or not, people have reported pool stores advising just that!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help everyone. Just checked my other numbers. Kiddos were distracting me before.

CC - 0
    CH - 400

Should I be worried about the high CH?

Thanks again.
    27,0000 gallon In-Ground Plaster Kidney Shaped Pool - Approximately 30 years old
    Hayward Superpump
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE4820 Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BigBri594 View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. Just checked my other numbers. Kiddos were distracting me before.

CC - 0
    CH - 400

Should I be worried about the high CH?

Thanks again.
    No. And there isn't much you can do about it but drain off a bunch of water you probably just added. 400 CH is easily managed. Be generous when it's time to backwash and you'll lose some then.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!