Clean Pole Recommedations Wanted

I've tried several poles and they all have the same basic design problem. They adjust by turning a threaded PVC-like ring on the outside of the handle. They work great.... for about a month and then the threaded area gets dirty, or something, and starts to bind up. It will either fail so you can't turn it at all, or it will not tighten enough and does exactly like what you are complaining about...

Went to my local pool store, not associated with any brand name pools stores, and they suggested I use a pole they carry. All the workings are inside. So I bought it (about $35) and I could not be happier. I was impressed enough to buy another one a few months later. At the time I did not look at the brand name, I didn't really care until I read your post.

I went out to look and was surprised that it was a "Pentair" product. I didn't even know they had a pole product. Under the Pentair brand is the name spelled, "Lifegard #812-16 Tele PL R191046). I've only had them about 6 months, so time will tell, but, so far, they are way better than any other telescopic poles I have ever owned.

Jim R.

My extending cleaning pole collapses on itself when I push it along the pool floor during brushing. Anyone have recommendations for a pole that doesn't do this?

I just drilled a hole in mine and used a hitch pin clip - looks a lot like a giant safety pin - to keep it from pushing in. After I bent that pole by using the wall whale with the flap set too high, I bought a new pole just the same. It stays fully extended all the time and so far hasn't slipped. I think that's because it never gets adjusted. The other pole was sawed off at the bend and now I have two poles. The short one works good for brushing the spa and using the skimmer net, the long for brushing and vacuuming.

I went out to look and was surprised that it was a "Pentair" product. I didn't even know they had a pole product. Under the Pentair brand is the name spelled, "Lifegard #812-16 Tele PL R191046). I've only had them about 6 months, so time will tell, but, so far, they are way better than any other telescopic poles I have ever owned.

Jim R.

Michael you explained the problem perfectly! Good to know I'm not the only one!! I have this same problem with my prev. 3 poles and it drives me nuts. Was just struggling with mine today. Of course these smart folks always have a solution.

Here is a couple of photos of my setup. Drilled 1/4" hole through outer and inner poles and used this quick release pin to extend and collapse pole. The inner pole is 4 feet of 3/4 " schedule 40 PVC. If it breaks very cheap to replace. PVC cap glued to top with another hole drilled for when pole is collapsed. It works, no more broken cam locks.

Attachments

• KIMG0006.jpg
    KIMG0006.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 40
  • KIMG0007.jpg
    KIMG0007.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 40
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.