Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clean Pole Recommedations Wanted

1. Back To Top    #1

Clean Pole Recommedations Wanted

My extending cleaning pole collapses on itself when I push it along the pool floor during brushing. Anyone have recommendations for a pole that doesn't do this?
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clean Pole Recommedations Wanted

I've tried several poles and they all have the same basic design problem. They adjust by turning a threaded PVC-like ring on the outside of the handle. They work great.... for about a month and then the threaded area gets dirty, or something, and starts to bind up. It will either fail so you can't turn it at all, or it will not tighten enough and does exactly like what you are complaining about...

Went to my local pool store, not associated with any brand name pools stores, and they suggested I use a pole they carry. All the workings are inside. So I bought it (about $35) and I could not be happier. I was impressed enough to buy another one a few months later. At the time I did not look at the brand name, I didn't really care until I read your post.

I went out to look and was surprised that it was a "Pentair" product. I didn't even know they had a pole product. Under the Pentair brand is the name spelled, "Lifegard #812-16 Tele PL R191046). I've only had them about 6 months, so time will tell, but, so far, they are way better than any other telescopic poles I have ever owned.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    My extending cleaning pole collapses on itself when I push it along the pool floor during brushing. Anyone have recommendations for a pole that doesn't do this?
    I just drilled a hole in mine and used a hitch pin clip - looks a lot like a giant safety pin - to keep it from pushing in. After I bent that pole by using the wall whale with the flap set too high, I bought a new pole just the same. It stays fully extended all the time and so far hasn't slipped. I think that's because it never gets adjusted. The other pole was sawed off at the bend and now I have two poles. The short one works good for brushing the spa and using the skimmer net, the long for brushing and vacuuming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I always enjoy reading your posts Richard. Spot on.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post

I went out to look and was surprised that it was a "Pentair" product. I didn't even know they had a pole product. Under the Pentair brand is the name spelled, "Lifegard #812-16 Tele PL R191046). I've only had them about 6 months, so time will tell, but, so far, they are way better than any other telescopic poles I have ever owned.

Jim R.
    Michael you explained the problem perfectly! Good to know I'm not the only one!! I have this same problem with my prev. 3 poles and it drives me nuts. Was just struggling with mine today. Of course these smart folks always have a solution.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a couple of photos of my setup. Drilled 1/4" hole through outer and inner poles and used this quick release pin to extend and collapse pole. The inner pole is 4 feet of 3/4 " schedule 40 PVC. If it breaks very cheap to replace. PVC cap glued to top with another hole drilled for when pole is collapsed. It works, no more broken cam locks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10,000 gallons IG Freeform, 8ft raised spa,pebble finish
    FNS 60 Sqft DE Filter,2HP Whisperflow for Pool/Spa filtering
    2HP Whisperflow for Spa jets
    1HP Whisperflow for Waterfall
    Master Temp 400,000 Btu Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the ideas. Very helpful.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.