Green water

Jun 9, 2014
clinton
My sister just bought a house with a 14,000gal agp that was clearly not closed or covered properly last yr. And since I use tfp method and mine looks so good they recruited me for help, tho mine has never been that bad so I'm not 100% where to go now. It's dark green tho has gotten lighter. Got most of the debris off the floor and been vacuuming sweeping and back washing all day. We added 5gal 10% chlorinator and 4lbs of shock. And I added stabilizer before I left. Fc-1.0, cc-13.5, cya-we'll below 30. I use the k-2006 test kit. Should I just have them continue what we've been doing and give it time? Thanks for any suggestions

Kenny, I believe you have ammonia. Do not add any more stabilizer.

- - - Updated - - -

Kenny, please do the following, understand you will need a good amount of bleach to breakthrough the ammonia barrier:

Treatment for Ammonia:
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Thanks for the reply, so I should keep adding bleach till the fc is up to 10, and not worry about the cc for now? It doesn't smell like ammonia I actually got in to brush it. The biggest problem for me is im no pro, and I'm not sure what the previous owners put in it.

Correct! Maintaining FC is paramount at this moment. Check every 10 minutes. If it drops below 5, hit it right away and keep doing that until the FC begins to hold between 5-10 ppm at 10 minutes. Only then do you finally add the stabilizer for a CYA target of 30. Before you increase FC to 12, run one last pH check to make sure it's at 7.2 (orange) before you increase FC to 12. Then maintain that 12!

- - - Updated - - -

No need to check CC so much right now. Watching the FC is most important for the next few hours then eventually days as you perform the SLAM.

For emphasis, you are in SLAM process so follow that SLAM article in Pool School and let us help you get it crystal clear.

The SLAM, performed properly, never fails. No shortcuts.....SLAM your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.