Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can Letting Chlorine Get Too Low Raise pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can Letting Chlorine Get Too Low Raise pH?

I noticed a strange phenomenon. If I neglect my chlorine level, and it gets too low, to the point of creating some algae, I have found that the pH goes sky high. Is there an inverse relationship between chlorine level and pH, perhaps indirectly through some other mechanism?

Michael
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can Letting Chlorine Get Too Low Raise pH?

I can't think of any connection whatsoever.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think your pH rise is also a matter of neglect.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

pH's rise by the following
    * a lot of aeration
    * excessive rain [both dilution and aeration]
    * the addition of baking soda or other alkaline based products
    * not adding any muratic acid or similar...

So, which ones are happening to your pool?
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't think of any reason in particular the pH goes up so much, no rain, no alkaline products, no aeration. This pool eats acid at the rate of about a quart a week. Seems worse as we approach summer. Is that normal?
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    I can't think of any reason in particular the pH goes up so much, no rain, no alkaline products, no aeration. This pool eats acid at the rate of about a quart a week. Seems worse as we approach summer. Is that normal?
    I use more than 1qt per week in my pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

What is your TA?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach