Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strange obstruction

1. Back To Top    #1

Strange obstruction

New to swimming pools just bought a house with a pool and I have been trolling to figure out chemicals and such. My pump housing blew and I had a pool guy out to fix it as it was covered under the home warranty. I also had noticed the auto fill wasn't working it was all dirty in there like it had been off for some time. The garden hose was in the pool when we moved in too indicating the previous owner knew it was broken. I cleaned out the well with the float in it and I tried every valve around the house as well as the water valves with the pool guts. The pool guy couldn't find anything that worked either. The repair guy found that the distributer carousel thing for the floor pop ups was bad and replaced that. So now all the floor pop ups are working and pushing dirt toward the main drain and I'm happy the pool guy has gone home but I'm noticing it doesn't seem the main drain is sucking anything in and through my reading in here it seems there's supposed to be one of those flying saucer diverted flit valve things in my skimmer port and I find it in the box with the pool chemicals. Why isn't it in the skimmer so I start looking in there and that's when I see this it looks like a piece of flex tubing or something in the main drain port really clogged in there. I'm assuming this isn't supposed to be here. Help!!! I can't keep calling a pool guy back and long story short it's making me super frustrated cause in the housing contract the guy signed that to his knowledge there was nothing wrong with the pool or pool parts etc. I'm really frustrated here. Not that I expected everything to work but at least these super obvious problems they were aware of be disclosed.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Strange obstruction

Yes, the diverted valve should be in there to,adjust the flow between the main drain and skimmer.

And no, I can't think of any reason why that flex hose is in there. It is certainly why there is no draw from the main drain.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I wonder if someone stuffed that in there to stop flow from the main drain?? There is virtually no other reason to do it but a flex hose seems like the VERY last thing you want to try to plug it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I wonder if someone stuffed that in there to stop flow from the main drain?? There is virtually no other reason to do it but a flex hose seems like the VERY last thing you want to try to plug it.
    Yeah it seems unintentional like it got sucked in. I figure if it was intentional wouldn't they just use a plug. I can't seem to get a hold of it with needle nose pliers and I can barely reach it with my fingers.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you know any mechanics or wannabe mechanics?

Call one and ask for some storks. And if he's got any radiator hose hooks. Or just email the image and let him see the problem for himself. He'll dig through his box and find something.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Strange obstruction

Quote Originally Posted by bscuderi View Post
    Yeah it seems unintentional like it got sucked in. I figure if it was intentional wouldn't they just use a plug. I can't seem to get a hold of it with needle nose pliers and I can barely reach it with my fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think it would get sucked from the skimmer into the drain. I could see it getting sucked into the suction side of the skimmer though.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.

7. Back To Top    #7

A long pair of needle nose vise grips might work too. I would have a plug for that line just in case this was done on purpose. If you can kind of chop it up with utility shears it will come out easier.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by eostrike View Post
    I don't think it would get sucked from the skimmer into the drain. I could see it getting sucked into the suction side of the skimmer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is there not any suction from that hole normally?

9. Back To Top    #9

From the drain to the skimmer it would get water drawn in from the drain not to the drain. So with the hole going to the drain water would come up that hole and be sucked into the suction side of the skimmer. The actual suction from the main drain would be minimal I would think as most of the flow would come from the pool into the skimmer. This is just my opinion though.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Do you know any mechanics or wannabe mechanics?

Call one and ask for some storks. And if he's got any radiator hose hooks. Or just email the image and let him see the problem for himself. He'll dig through his box and find something.

Bought some storks tonight I found in a two pack on clearance at Home Depot. I was able to pull out the weird tubing. It was followed by a large bouncy ball then next out of the hole was an underwater missile. Then so much dirt and leaves and sand it instantly clogged the pump basket which was previously mostly clean. I unclogged the pump basket but but now my pump housing sounds strained and chewing in rocks im sure that much debris at once plugged the impeller up. Seems online it seems you just can poke a coat hangar in there to fish out debris? Figured I'd do that In the morning. But the drain is unplugged so I'll consider this a win although I'm still super angry at the previous owner leaving it that way. Some people just dont care

11. Back To Top    #11

That sounds of rocks in the pump is most likely cavitation -- pulling too much vacuum in the suction side causes tiny bubbles of water vapor to form. Each bubble collapses with a tiny "bang", which is what sounds like gravel in the pump.

Too much vacuum means a restriction in the suction side. If it didn't make that noise before the debris storm of unplugging the main drain, I'd be very suspect of something new getting stuck.

Edit: BTW -- I'm very curious if you have a cover over your main drain that would keep something like a bouncy ball from getting into the drain pipe?
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

12. Back To Top    #12

That flexible tube looks like a dive stick. My kids had some like that. I wonder if this was just a case of a kid shoving stuff where it didn't belong. Hopefully there's not a big enough hole at the main drain to let all that stuff through.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

If that's what it is then kids must have as all three things jammed in there were pool toys. Now I have the ufo flow diverter and a strainer basket so nothing should get stuck again. I took the pump apart and cleaned debris out of the impeller with a pipe cleaner and now she's running whisper quiet

14. Back To Top    #14

Good news! While everything is quiet for a minute take a little time to add your state to your location in your profile and your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post. With people in Houston, OH and Dallas, PA I don't assume anymore and climate is often an important factor. It would be just my luck that you are in Phoenix, IL or Phoenix, NY.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach