Algae - Pool Cleaner - SLAM

I would think if that stuff settling is only happening in the pool within the hour it may be algae. If it was related to the area (i.e. pollen or dirt) you would have accumulations around the pool, on your car, patio furniture, etc. You've mentioned the water was clear with a slight "tint", so go ahead and try the OCLT if you still can. Let's see if you lose any more than 1 ppm of FC between now and in the morning. Of the choices available, algae is the easiest to treat because that's a straight-forward (SLAM) process. If it's not, and that yellow/green tint is from metals in your water like from previous algaecides or something from the pool store, that's a much different matter. So let's see how your test results look in the morning.

Re: My first SLAM

Crystal clear water this morning! I tested and added chlorine as needed every 2 hours through the afternoon/evening.

Last test of the night was at 10:00 pm. FC was 26 and CC was 0.5.
This morning at 6:30, FC was 26 and CC was 0.

I vacuumed the debris to waste. There wasn't much - it was spotty around the shallow end and in the corners of the deep end. It looked like the photo from last post, but more. I assume this is dead algae.

Do I just leave the SWG off until FC levels eventually drift back to normal? I've read reports on the forums of the cloudy water returning when FC levels are back to normal. Hoping that doesn't happen to me.

When an OCLT is complete, you can let the FC drift back down then turn-on the SWG. Since you passed the OCLT, you would think all is good and I hope so as well. Sometimes, the scenario can seem a bit peculiar, and yours was that way to me with debris collecting on the bottom and water with a slight tint. After one night of slightly increased FC the water looks healthy. Hummm. :confused: Well, I'm glad you passed the OCLT. What I would wrap-up by saying is that if any of that should return, then I would go directly to a "SLAM" (link below) and do it until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria - just to be safe. In your pool it shouldn't take very long, but may be best. When you get a chance, also ensure that you have no old hiding places for algae (i.e. ladder steps or behind lights in the niche). And one final item.....if you've never done it before, consider doing a filter deep clean as noted on the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page.

Glad to hear you're happy with your water. Have a great day.

Thank you for the reply Texas Splash. I will definitely keep a close eye on things for the next several days. It's almost like this was a "mini slam"... because I raised FC all the way to shock level and held it there for one afternoon and evening, and then it passed the OCLT the first night and all looks well this morning. Maybe it's too good to be true.

I recently read the tutorial about deep cleaning the sand filter. I think I will give it a try. In the video, his plumbing was disconnected. Is it ok for me just to turn off the ball valves (from the skimmers and wall drain) or do i need to take apart the whole thing, salt cell and all?

One last question regarding forum etiquette: if I find the need to slam again if this problem returns, do I continue on this thread or start a new one?

Alright, my pool looked great all day. Since the OCLT was successful last night, I'm hoping all is well. I kept the SWG turned off so chlorine levels could drift down. I tested the water at 9:00 pm, and FC had fallen to 13. Down from 26 this morning. We had a full day of sun, and 2-3 people swimming for a few hours. I also vacuumed to waste, backwashed, and used the hose to add a couple of inches to the water level. Does a loss of 13 ppm seem reasonable, or should I be suspicious that algae is still lurking?

Don't know what I would do without this forum. It provides a great deal of comfort to novice pool-owners like me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.