Please check my GFCI logic

JayBauman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2014
Katy, TX
Before I go drop a hundred bucks on a new GFCI breaker, please let me know if I'm thinking correctly:

My pool, pumps, and electrical equipment are all only 1.5 years old. I have 4x 240V pumps, each with a unique GFCI breaker in my pool panel. This morning, I noticed that one of my pumps wasn't operating, even though my control panel said it was. I checked the electrical panel and found a tripped breaker (let's call it "A") that would not reset. After disconnecting power to my pool breaker box, I wired a different pump ("B") to the tripped breaker. Breaker "A" would still not reset. However, when I hooked Pump "A" up to Breaker "B", Pump "A" worked just fine. This would imply that both pumps (and their associated electrical wiring) seem to be OK, so Breaker "A" is suspect. I conclude that purchasing a new breaker should fix my problem.

The breaker is a Square D 20 Amp Two-Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker. I don't mind spending $100 to replace it, as long as it's really the problem. I would rather NOT spend the hundred bucks and then later have to call out the pool electrician if this does not get me operational.

Are my approach and logic correct? Thanks in advance.

I've ordered another breaker; it will be here in Monday (thanks Amazon for 2 day shipping....even on holidays). Now that I think about it, this one tripped once before about 3 or 4 months ago. At that time, I was able to simply reset it. This time, it has definitely given up the ghost.

I've got 6 of them in my breaker panel, and this is the only one acting up. What makes these things go bad after X amount of time? Are some just defective from the beginning?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.