Ok trying to get pool started up

May 22, 2016
Ohio
Ok this week I filled pool and had to replace pool pump and chlorine feeder.

Before I found this place I dumped 9 gallons of shock in cuz that is what I have done in the past(before I found this place and your info) I have had issue with chlorine holding and value so I was not that the water needed conditioner. So I have just done that. I am new to using this testing kit because I have always us d strips in the past.
But so far
Oh-7.8
Alk-120
Cya-below 30 I can still see the black dot some what when tube is filled
Chl- can't get a reading

Also there is white stuff on top of water I never seen before.
I still can't see in the water beyond 5-6" due to cloudy. Will be vacuuming today also.
Here is what pool looks like.
Hoping for advice and what to do next and if I did something wrong please let me know also

I have had a 24' above ground pool for 12 yrs and now this in ground pool for 2 yrs and have not seen this white stuff before. Anyone know what it is???
Eric

16x30 inground pool, sand filter, Hayward Super Pump, vinyl liner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for typos I can't find the edit button lol.
Regarding the chlorine I put two 3" tabs in the feeder Thursday night and the same last night.
With that and all the liquid shock I would have thought the chl level would be high like in the past years but I'm not getting any reading

Eric, don't worry about the foam for now. You need to "SLAM" (link below). So do the following:
- Lower Ph to 7.2
- Add stabilizer to ensure your CYA is at 30. Also, once you know your CYA is at 30, remove those pucks.
- Increase FC using regular bleach only to an FC of 12.

Follow all the instructions on the SLAM page and you should be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

If you find that after adding enough bleach to get to an FC of 12 it doesn't want to stay there for long, let us know. Test frequently at first to ensure you stay at FC of 12.

If you poured liquid stabilizer in, it works really fast. I would check the CYA later this evening if there is any chance your CYA may be close to 30. By tonight if it's not at 30 with pump mixing it all day, then go ahead and add some more (or the granular type) as needed. Since you're trying to complete a SLAM, I just didn't want you to over-shoot your CYA by too much. But yes, you can add stabilizer anytime you want to. It does not interfere with other products.

Ok tested this morning

CH-5
BR-10
PH-7.8
ALK -160-170
CAL HARDNESS-160
CYA-30
It's seems things are looking good except for the ALK?
White stuff still on top of water.
Unfortunately I did not get to vacuum yesterday is it ok to do to day I can see the bottom but I think there is stuff still down there.

Okay, good to see the CYA at a solid 30. Now you need to use muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2 and start the SLAM (link below). Raise the FC to 12 and keep it there until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria to clear the cloudy water. Follow everything you see on the SLAM page and it will do just fine. Yes, you can vacuum as well. It's expected. Watch your filter psi. Once it increases by 25% from the starting (clean) pressure, backwash it. Be patient, and good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

We'll worry about the TA after you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. :)

Ok cool, I have some of the muriatic acid on hand. I found it works better then the powder.
Texas thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Glad to help. Once you maintain that FC of 12, you should slowly start to see positive changes in the water, especially clarity. It may take a few days, so it's hard to tell. Your water isn't all that bad from what I can see and the foam should hopefully resolve itself soon. After the SLAM, we can do any "fine-tuning". Have a great day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok the FC tried dropping a little but pour some more shock in to get it back up,had some vacuum issues but that issue fixed thanks to this great board!
Will report back in the morning

Ok still fighting the good fight.
This morning reading

CL-over5 plastic container only goes to 5

BR-over 10. Same reason as above

PH- back up to 7.8

ALK-160 to 170

CYA- now less the 30 I can faintly see the black dot when tube filled.
Pool color wise is getting better

Will vacuum in a hour or so
Kinda a bummer going back to work tomorrow but will try to keep up the slam as best as possible

Now I see. That pool test kit is the equivalent of the Taylor K-2005, and it's missing the most important thing you need right now - the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) as seen HERE. The FAS-DPD will satisfy all of your FC and CC testing needs above 5 ppm that your current CL test will not do. So you can continue to use that store kit for pH, TZ, CH, and CYA (for a while), but you really need to order the FAS-DPD as soon as possible.

Ok gonna have to wait for pay day thanks for link will order Friday
Am I going blindly at this point with out it or keep doing what I'm doing?

Yes, unfortunately it's doing it blindfolded. There are two concerns with not having the exact FC/C reading ... not enough FC to meet your current CYA which prolongs the SLAM; too much FC in the water which exceeds the CYA protecting your liner from fading. Accuracy is the name of the game for a successful SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.