Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool brown after opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool brown after opening

Closing seemed to be OK... balanced everything per pool school, like I'd done previously.

Winter came and went - and now the pool is brown.

I can't seem to find any tips here on what to do with a brown pool...
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool brown after opening

Hard to tell what could be causing the brown without some more info. It could be an off-color algae or could be something related to metals in the water. It would be best to post a full set of test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply - so here's what i'm getting:

PH 7.2
    FC: 0
    TA: 80
    CYA: <10

So I'm definitely not balanced. I even checked to make sure my chemicals are OK, and get more color on the quick chlorine test if I use township water from the faucet.

My fear is that this is iron. I noticed that one of the metal railings (where my SWG was hanging) has some rust around it.
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ran over to pool store to see if it was Iron... she said to get pool shocked and polyquat 60 before doing anything else.

She recco'd durashock ... 5 bags. I'm thinking lots of bleach for this, as in the past.

5. Back To Top    #5

So did the test show iron?
    My neighbor has a mesh cover and he didn't scoop the leaves off at all one winter. He opened brown. It was tannic acid from the leaves.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well - i did leave the leaves on the cover... it's not a mesh cover though. How'd he get rid of it?

The pool store send to get the shock and algacide in and come back to see what else it's calling for. needless to say, i'm following the advice here, as I have in the past.

7. Back To Top    #7

Lots of chlorine. He also kept a close eye on pH although tannic acid isn't too acidic. He just did some aeration while treating with the chlorine. The leaves on his mesh cover acted like a huge tea bag and the water was a clear, dark-brown mess.