Using cal-hypo?

wal81

Feb 8, 2015
North Alabama
I rely on my SWG for regular use, and I've always used bleach if I need to slam the pool. However, a neighbor (who recently filled in their pool) gave me about 20 1-lb bags of "shock" - cal-hypo 73% Leslie's brand. Can I use this to SLAM my pool if I have an algae problem? I would like to be able to use up what I have on hand, before buying more bleach. My current calcium level is 80. Pool Math says that one pound of this shock will raise FC by 3.5 and raise CH by 2.4.

Is there a downside to using this instead of bleach? Would I need to turn off the SWG when I add it?

The downside is adding calcium to your pool. You know your CH is only 80, so it wouldn't hurt. If you use the cal-hypo for an extended period of time, I'd keep checking CH.

I'm on SWG as well and have successfully used cal-hypo for slam even though I usually use bleach.

Yes, you can use it to SLAM. But with a SWG, your FC shouldn't ever drop low enough for that to be necessary. Good thing the stuff has a long shelf life, as long as it stays sealed.

You can also use it to boost FC quick, like right before or after a bog swim party. Poolmath does have Cal-hypo listed in the dropdown menu for FC adjustments. Just know that once the bag is open, it will start degrading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.