I rely on my SWG for regular use, and I've always used bleach if I need to slam the pool. However, a neighbor (who recently filled in their pool) gave me about 20 1-lb bags of "shock" - cal-hypo 73% Leslie's brand. Can I use this to SLAM my pool if I have an algae problem? I would like to be able to use up what I have on hand, before buying more bleach. My current calcium level is 80. Pool Math says that one pound of this shock will raise FC by 3.5 and raise CH by 2.4.
Is there a downside to using this instead of bleach? Would I need to turn off the SWG when I add it?