Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using cal-hypo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Using cal-hypo?

I rely on my SWG for regular use, and I've always used bleach if I need to slam the pool. However, a neighbor (who recently filled in their pool) gave me about 20 1-lb bags of "shock" - cal-hypo 73% Leslie's brand. Can I use this to SLAM my pool if I have an algae problem? I would like to be able to use up what I have on hand, before buying more bleach. My current calcium level is 80. Pool Math says that one pound of this shock will raise FC by 3.5 and raise CH by 2.4.

Is there a downside to using this instead of bleach? Would I need to turn off the SWG when I add it?
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Using cal-hypo?

The downside is adding calcium to your pool. You know your CH is only 80, so it wouldn't hurt. If you use the cal-hypo for an extended period of time, I'd keep checking CH.

I'm on SWG as well and have successfully used cal-hypo for slam even though I usually use bleach.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you can use it to SLAM. But with a SWG, your FC shouldn't ever drop low enough for that to be necessary. Good thing the stuff has a long shelf life, as long as it stays sealed.

You can also use it to boost FC quick, like right before or after a bog swim party. Poolmath does have Cal-hypo listed in the dropdown menu for FC adjustments. Just know that once the bag is open, it will start degrading.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Perfect, thanks for the info!
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit