Hi All! Here's a quick background on me...I just discovered this website today, and I'm so glad I did! I have been struggling for 2 years to keep our above ground pool safe to swim in and nice to look at. My previous method involved 6 way test strips, chlorine tablets, inadequate pump/filter, testing water at pool store, spending $100 at a time to fix problems I didn't understand, then throwing my hands up and draining/refilling the pool because it was cheaper and easier to start fresh!!
So this year I upgraded my filter/pump system from the one that came with it, so I think that will be a big help. I still have a few "guess strips" left, but will be purchasing the TF100 test kit based on user recommendations and reviews.
We refilled our pool yesterday after draining it because we let it get overrun by algae, not realizing that our old filter pump was broken. Before refilling, we scrubbed most of the algae off, but didn't vacuum it out 100%...I figured shocking the pool would take care of any residual contaminants. So, with a fresh 7600 gallons of (city) water, and a brand new sand filter system, we added 16oz. of Poolife Turboshock...78% Calcium Hypochlorite with 22% "other" ingredients last night at 9:00 p.m. Friday, May 27.
This mornings readings were:
CYA: 0 or 30-50
It is 85 degrees out today, the water is beautiful and sparkling, and my 12 and 10 year old daughters want to jump in despite it being freezing! I read somewhere that it wasn't safe to swim in a pool when the FC was above 4. Is that true? When can they go in?
I am reading and taking in as much as possible, but before my new test kit arrives, what is my best course of action to keep my pool beautiful? Can I use my remaining chlorine tablets (I only have 10 or so left), or should I immediately make the switch to bleach? Thanks in advance!!