PH battle - hi PH

Bbody

May 1, 2016
Ocala fl
I have been working diligently on getting this pool in shape. I seem to be battling with the PH -- even though the TA is 100, my PH quickly (within 48 hours) rebounds to 8.0+ and the acid demand can be up to a quart every other day or so. my current readings are
TC = 6
CC = 0
PH 8.0+ (seems darker than the 8.0 color mark)
TA =100
CH 260
CYA 70

We have a SWG - set at 40% and have it run 4 hours/day - between 4pm and 8pm. we have a waterfall and I know (from reading here) that this will increase the PH, but I tested it this morning after filter had been off for 15 hours. should I attempt to bring TA down to 80? I wanted to add borates this year, but I know that the addition of Borates causes a further increase in PH and acid demand.

Any words of advice?
thank you

You've got the trifecta: High TA, SWG, Waterfall. Probably high TA refill water, too. What's the term for four? A Quadrecta? :scratch:

Set aside a day to lounge around the pool and drink beer. Lower pH to 7.2 and crank everything up to full blast. Waterfall, spa jets, air bubbles, point returns up. Get that pool churning. Look busy by brushing if anyone checks on what you're doing. Check pH and TA every hour or two -- you'll know after the first time how quickly things will change for you -- and reduce pH to 7.2 again. At some point in time, your TA will be down to 70 or less and/or you'll have noticed hardly any change in pH. That's when you can stop.

I throttle back the amount of water going through my spa and that slowed the pH rise a lot. I even capped the venturi air intake with a spray can cap for less aeration. You should try reducing the amount of water going through the spa and waterfall as well. You'll need some fresh chlorinated water through each every day, but maybe not as much as you have been.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.