Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH battle - hi PH

1. Back To Top    #1

PH battle - hi PH

I have been working diligently on getting this pool in shape. I seem to be battling with the PH -- even though the TA is 100, my PH quickly (within 48 hours) rebounds to 8.0+ and the acid demand can be up to a quart every other day or so. my current readings are
    TC = 6
    CC = 0
    PH 8.0+ (seems darker than the 8.0 color mark)
    TA =100
    CH 260
    CYA 70

We have a SWG - set at 40% and have it run 4 hours/day - between 4pm and 8pm. we have a waterfall and I know (from reading here) that this will increase the PH, but I tested it this morning after filter had been off for 15 hours. should I attempt to bring TA down to 80? I wanted to add borates this year, but I know that the addition of Borates causes a further increase in PH and acid demand.

Any words of advice?
    thank you
    Built 2007, IG 15,00 gal free form, marcite, with spa and synthetic rock waterfall. Hayward 2.5hp single speed, pump and SWG cell. Cartridge filters - Pleatco. Jandy gas heater. Zodiac barracuda vac. Screened enclosure.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: PH battle - hi PH

Try bringing your TA to 80 and see, if PH still raising fast try 70

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!
    Built 2007, IG 15,00 gal free form, marcite, with spa and synthetic rock waterfall. Hayward 2.5hp single speed, pump and SWG cell. Cartridge filters - Pleatco. Jandy gas heater. Zodiac barracuda vac. Screened enclosure.

4. Back To Top    #4

You've got the trifecta: High TA, SWG, Waterfall. Probably high TA refill water, too. What's the term for four? A Quadrecta?

Set aside a day to lounge around the pool and drink beer. Lower pH to 7.2 and crank everything up to full blast. Waterfall, spa jets, air bubbles, point returns up. Get that pool churning. Look busy by brushing if anyone checks on what you're doing. Check pH and TA every hour or two -- you'll know after the first time how quickly things will change for you -- and reduce pH to 7.2 again. At some point in time, your TA will be down to 70 or less and/or you'll have noticed hardly any change in pH. That's when you can stop.

I throttle back the amount of water going through my spa and that slowed the pH rise a lot. I even capped the venturi air intake with a spray can cap for less aeration. You should try reducing the amount of water going through the spa and waterfall as well. You'll need some fresh chlorinated water through each every day, but maybe not as much as you have been.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have new plaster, SWG, laminars and spa jets. I was battling increasing pH too. Dropping TA to 70-80 and adding Borates has helped with the rise but I still have to add acid every 3-4 days.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

with our rain, we add acid every week, keep waterfall off most of the time, unless we have company.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test