Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Question I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    We drained and started over with fresh water for this season. Just trying to get everything fine tuned I know I need to tweak a few things, just not sure what to do first, how long to wait in between, etc.

    CC .2
    FC 3.4
    pH 8.0
    TA 110-120
    CYA 38
    CH 70 I am confused here as to whether this matters, because the chart here on the forum says do not add on the vinyl pool section.
    AD 2 drops
    Salt 1880

    Also, I'm not sure which #'s I should be going by when it comes to pool math. Should I go by the defaults when I put in the gallons of water, my own info from the specific pool, etc? We added the salt/sand, after we got the pool, so, I just don't know on this one.

    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    pH first. When it's between 7.2 and 7.8, it's safe to swim in. I'd target 7.3. That gives a margin of error while still lowering pH enough to affect TA. pH will come back up pretty quick with the high TA and the SWG.

    Then add some more CYA to get to 70ish. It'll take a day or two to dissolve. As it starts dissolving and rising, you'll lose less FC to the sun so the SWG should be able to keep up with the demand and FC will rise along with the CYA.

    Add salt to get to the target for your SWG so it works better.

    In poolmath, go to the last row and choose vinyl/SWG/TFP and let it autofill the recommendations. If your readings are within the guidelines, make the target the same as now. No adjustment needed. Easy, huh? Your TA is a little high, but it will come down as you maintain the pH, so don't worry about it yet. Get everything else squared away before you start fussing with that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  3. Back To Top    #3


    TFP Guide

    cowboycasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fletcher, OK
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Welcome to TFP

    Poolmath, fill out the bottom, this gives you the TFP recommends levels, use the bottom of pool math to find the gallons Length x width x depth of your water
    TFP, SWG, Vinyl
    add chem with pump on, brush pool 10 minutes, add next chem

    using MA drop your PH first, this will also drop your TA also Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    add bleach to bring your FC to 4 Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    add CYA to get you to 70 using a sock
    add salt to get to 3200, wait 24 hours and see turn SWG on and see if the SWG likes it there (making chlorine)

    Ch of 70 is fine, no need to add as you have a vinyl pool

    I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    In poolmath, go to the last row and choose vinyl/SWG/TFP and let it autofill the recommendations.
    Totally forgot I had done that already

    Thanks!!!
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Welcome to TFP

    Poolmath, fill out the bottom, this gives you the TFP recommends levels, use the bottom of pool math to find the gallons Length x width x depth of your water
    TFP, SWG, Vinyl
    add chem with pump on, brush pool 10 minutes, add next chem

    using MA drop your PH first, this will also drop your TA also Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    add bleach to bring your FC to 4 Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    add CYA to get you to 70 using a sock
    add salt to get to 3200, wait 24 hours and see turn SWG on and see if the SWG likes it there (making chlorine)

    Ch of 70 is fine, no need to add as you have a vinyl pool

    I hope this helps
    So, I can do all of that in the same day?

    Is the sock going into the skimmer basket or just in the pool?

    I thought I had stuck it to the man by getting a bucket of calcium chloride off Amazon, instead of the $60 one they tried selling me at the pool store. I guess I'll be throwing that on a local buy/sell group now At least I didn't put it in the pool! I don't give the pool store my money anyhow, but this really shows me how little they know/care!

    Thanks for the help!
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle76 View Post
    So, I can do all of that in the same day?

    Is the sock going into the skimmer basket or just in the pool?

    I thought I had stuck it to the man by getting a bucket of calcium chloride off Amazon, instead of the $60 one they tried selling me at the pool store. I guess I'll be throwing that on a local buy/sell group now At least I didn't put it in the pool! I don't give the pool store my money anyhow, but this really shows me how little they know/care!

    Thanks for the help!
    Sock goes either. Skimmer is easiest, no rigging to figure out. But if you don't have a skimmer or if the sock blocks too much flow, suspend it off a pole in front of a return.

    It can all be done in under an hour. The CYA won't all be dissolved that fast, but it will be in progress.

    You can save that Cal-hypo for times when you want to boost FC in a hurry, like before or after a swim party or if someone has an accident. No different than adding bleach except it leaves CH behind. You've got lots of room for more CH. A 25 lb bucket will only add 146 CH to your pool, which will still leave you well below maximum recommended. Keep the bucket closed up and it'll last a year at least. Poolmath does have a dropdown selection on the FC line for using Cal-hypo, if you didn't know.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Thanks! Off to get MA now!
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Saturn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    461

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle76 View Post
    So, I can do all of that in the same day?

    Is the sock going into the skimmer basket or just in the pool?

    I thought I had stuck it to the man by getting a bucket of calcium chloride off Amazon, instead of the $60 one they tried selling me at the pool store. I guess I'll be throwing that on a local buy/sell group now At least I didn't put it in the pool! I don't give the pool store my money anyhow, but this really shows me how little they know/care!

    Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Sock goes either. Skimmer is easiest, no rigging to figure out. But if you don't have a skimmer or if the sock blocks too much flow, suspend it off a pole in front of a return.

    It can all be done in under an hour. The CYA won't all be dissolved that fast, but it will be in progress.

    You can save that Cal-hypo for times when you want to boost FC in a hurry, like before or after a swim party or if someone has an accident. No different than adding bleach except it leaves CH behind. You've got lots of room for more CH. A 25 lb bucket will only add 146 CH to your pool, which will still leave you well below maximum recommended. Keep the bucket closed up and it'll last a year at least. Poolmath does have a dropdown selection on the FC line for using Cal-hypo, if you didn't know.
    The OP said he bought calcium chloride. Calcium chloride isn't the same as cal-hypo.....is it?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Oops. my mistake I'll go fix that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    So, I added the bleach, MA, and the CYA that we had left (had to send hubby after more). I rechecked very late Saturday night and had the following results.

    pH 7.5-7.6
    FC 5
    CC .2
    TA 80-90

    I jumped for joy, thinking I had everything nailed and once I added the additional CYA and the salt, we'd be good. Got more CYA today and hubby is adding salt now. I checked again, just to make sure things are where I thought they were. I'm a little confused, because the pH has gone back up and the FC jumped to 6. The TA went back up some, as well.

    Today's readings are
    pH 8.0
    FC 6
    CC .2-.3
    TA 110-120
    CYA 46

    So, I'm looking at adding the salt, 33 oz. of CYA, and another 14 oz of MA. Does that sound right? Is anything else I'm doing contributing to the rise in FC, other than the bleach I added? No one has swam in the last few days and there has been no rain.
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle76 View Post
    So, I added the bleach, MA, and the CYA that we had left (had to send hubby after more). I rechecked very late Saturday night and had the following results.

    pH 7.5-7.6
    FC 5
    CC .2
    TA 80-90

    I jumped for joy, thinking I had everything nailed and once I added the additional CYA and the salt, we'd be good. Got more CYA today and hubby is adding salt now. I checked again, just to make sure things are where I thought they were. I'm a little confused, because the pH has gone back up and the FC jumped to 6. The TA went back up some, as well.

    Today's readings are
    pH 8.0
    FC 6
    CC .2-.3
    TA 110-120
    CYA 46

    So, I'm looking at adding the salt, 33 oz. of CYA, and another 14 oz of MA. Does that sound right? Is anything else I'm doing contributing to the rise in FC, other than the bleach I added? No one has swam in the last few days and there has been no rain.
    Recheck that TA before you add any acid. The R-009 can develop static electricity which makes the drops smaller which makes the reading higher. Just wipe the tip off with a damp paper towel between drops.

    Also, if you added any makeup water (autofill?) and you have high TA/high pH fill water that could do it. Or maybe the first TA test was wrong. Just confirm the number and then add acid to adjust pH.

    I get pretty much the same numbers you do in poolmath.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Recheck that TA before you add any acid. The R-009 can develop static electricity which makes the drops smaller which makes the reading higher. Just wipe the tip off with a damp paper towel between drops.
    Spot on. Recheck shows 90-100. At 90, there was a clear change in color. At 100, it actually turned bright pink. Which # do I go by?

    We haven't added any water. I just realized that the return shooting up out of the surface can cause the pH to go up though. Could that be the issue with it going back up?
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle76 View Post
    Spot on. Recheck shows 90-100. At 90, there was a clear change in color. At 100, it actually turned bright pink. Which # do I go by?

    We haven't added any water. I just realized that the return shooting up out of the surface can cause the pH to go up though. Could that be the issue with it going back up?
    You add drops until the last one makes no difference and then deduct it.

    So at 9 it went pinkish. At 10 it went Barbie Pink. If number 11 didn't do anything, subtract it. 10 drops = 100 TA. For next time.

    Yes, aeration can drive up pH and not effect TA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Redirected the return and added everything. I'm hoping to hear a choir of angels sing, when I check chemicals tomorrow morning

    Thanks for the help!
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    So close...

    FC 8.0
    CC .3
    pH 7.4
    TA 90
    CYA 70 - maybe 75
    CH 80
    Salt level around 2700 - pool math called for 98, but we had 80 on hand and went with that for the moment.

    Not sure about the 8.0 on the FC I know the target was 5, just not sure if we are in a problem zone on this one?

    I did point the return down into the pool and we added about 4 inches of water to top it off (and help the return stay below the water level). We are now at the max water level in the pool.
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle76 View Post
    So close...

    FC 8.0
    CC .3
    pH 7.4
    TA 90
    CYA 70 - maybe 75
    CH 80
    Salt level around 2700 - pool math called for 98, but we had 80 on hand and went with that for the moment.

    Not sure about the 8.0 on the FC I know the target was 5, just not sure if we are in a problem zone on this one?

    I did point the return down into the pool and we added about 4 inches of water to top it off (and help the return stay below the water level). We are now at the max water level in the pool.
    That high FC is not a problem. If you had the pump/SWG on all night, it would be expected. You don't lose any FC to UV at night with no sunlight. If it keeps climbing, dial the SWG back or reduce how long the pump runs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That high FC is not a problem. If you had the pump/SWG on all night, it would be expected. You don't lose any FC to UV at night with no sunlight. If it keeps climbing, dial the SWG back or reduce how long the pump runs.
    So, can I look for the FC to drop down (kind of level out), once the pump/SWG is only running a few hours a day?

    My youngest will be so glad for me to give the all clear to swim today! Thank you so much for your help!!!
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  18. Back To Top    #18
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle76 View Post
    So, can I look for the FC to drop down (kind of level out), once the pump/SWG is only running a few hours a day?

    My youngest will be so glad for me to give the all clear to swim today! Thank you so much for your help!!!
    Yep. Now comes the balancing act, to figure out what % and/or how long to run things to maintain the FC. That's what the test kit is for. If you find yourself coming up short, raise it. If it keeps climbing, lower it. Eventually you'll find your happy place. The happy place will change as days get longer and hotter and the pool gets used more. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    17

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yep. Now comes the balancing act, to figure out what % and/or how long to run things to maintain the FC. That's what the test kit is for. If you find yourself coming up short, raise it. If it keeps climbing, lower it. Eventually you'll find your happy place. The happy place will change as days get longer and hotter and the pool gets used more. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.
    Re: Maintenance - One more question - I read somewhere that I should be monitoring FC and pH on a daily basis. What about TA and CYA? How often on those? I've already blown through one of the CYA reagent bottles, in just a few days. I'm guessing that's a common problem
    Intex 22x52 Ultra frame, 10,500 gallons, Intex saltwater/sand filter combo, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit, Aquacheck salt strips

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hope Mills, NC
    Posts
    556

    Re: I need some advice on fine tuning my #'s. Just got the Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

    I check FC and pH daily, or at least every other day. The red and yellow drops into the square tube thing is good enough for that. If I see ANY odd or unexpected results, I do a full test.

    I do full checks every weekend before pool parties just in case.

    Once you get your SWG % dialed in and your pH correction figured out (like 2 ounces once a week), your pool will stay remarkably consistent. That's a lot of water for anything to change quickly...
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •