Which part/element in the SWG converts the salt to chlorine?

Jul 22, 2014
Sacramento/CA
I have an intex sand SWP, which is exactly two years old. I just filled a new intex ultraframe pool (the last one fell apart). I put the requested amount of salt in it (260 lbs), and the pump has been running for 10 hours a day, for about 4 days. The other chemical levels (including cyanuric acid) are just about at optimum levels. Only problem is I have NO Chlorine, thus I'm assuming the pump must not be able to convert it properly.

In addition to the above information, I have also removed the copper electrode and the titanium electrode, and I have soaked them in white vinegar. I even scrubbed the copper electrode with steel wool and the entire electrode is back to shinny copper, (although there are built-up, rough areas that have built over the past two years, that are copper in color but rough and non-removable). I have also done a couple back washes.

Here's my main question: What element/part of the pump may be responsible for not generating chlorine? I can simply replace that part, I'm assuming?

Thank you all!

Are you certain the SWG isn't working? Generally there are lights on when it's on and some kind of error indication if it's not generating. It could be that it is working but there isn't enough CYA to protect the FC from the sun and/or there is some algae growing that's consuming it as fast as it's made.

So if there are no error messages, catch a sample straight from the pool return when the SWG says it's running and test that. Just push a cup upside down into the pool next to the return, then tilt it sideways to let the air out and the return flow to flush it and fill it. If it shows FC but the pool doesn't, you know the problem is not with the SWG.

Also go ahead and take that copper piece out, it is adding copper to your pool and trust me, you don't want metal in your pool :)

Generally there are lights on when it's on and some kind of error indication if it's not generating.

That was a very important part that I left out. :oops: The code displaying is 91 (low salt, dirt or scale on titanium plates-I cleaned this, electrolytic cell failure), but there must be plenty of salt (260 lbs).

- - - Updated - - -
Also go ahead and take that copper piece out, it is adding copper to your pool and trust me, you don't want metal in your pool

Are you sure about this? Isn't this a crucial part of generating chlorine? Why would the pump have this piece in it if it wasn't necessary?

Does anyone want to see images of my copper and titanium electrodes? Also, I added the requested amount of cyanuric acid (4 lbs) a few days ago, and I think it's too early to test, but I'm assuming that was enough.

My understanding is that a SWG won't easily be able to bring your chlorine level from zero to the desired level. You need to get it where you want it with bleach, then the SWG can maintain it.

I think SWGs are also temperature dependent, so if your water is too cold, it may not operate properly (but I could certainly be wrong, I'm a SWG newbie).

That was a very important part that I left out. :oops: The code displaying is 91 (low salt, dirt or scale on titanium plates-I cleaned this, electrolytic cell failure), but there must be plenty of salt (260 lbs).

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure about this? Isn't this a crucial part of generating chlorine? Why would the pump have this piece in it if it wasn't necessary?

Does anyone want to see images of my copper and titanium electrodes? Also, I added the requested amount of cyanuric acid (4 lbs) a few days ago, and I think it's too early to test, but I'm assuming that was enough.

They put it in so people "feel" better about having lower FC levels with no relation to CYA.. Intex has taken it out of all the new ones and that one is discontinued.

I have no idea on the 91 code

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.