Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which part/element in the SWG converts the salt to chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which part/element in the SWG converts the salt to chlorine?

I have an intex sand SWP, which is exactly two years old. I just filled a new intex ultraframe pool (the last one fell apart). I put the requested amount of salt in it (260 lbs), and the pump has been running for 10 hours a day, for about 4 days. The other chemical levels (including cyanuric acid) are just about at optimum levels. Only problem is I have NO Chlorine, thus I'm assuming the pump must not be able to convert it properly.

In addition to the above information, I have also removed the copper electrode and the titanium electrode, and I have soaked them in white vinegar. I even scrubbed the copper electrode with steel wool and the entire electrode is back to shinny copper, (although there are built-up, rough areas that have built over the past two years, that are copper in color but rough and non-removable). I have also done a couple back washes.

Here's my main question: What element/part of the pump may be responsible for not generating chlorine? I can simply replace that part, I'm assuming?

Thank you all!
    Above ground, 10k intex vinyl ultra frame pool. Intex saltwater-sand filtration. Installed May 2014. TF-100 test kit, plus Taylor K-1766 salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which part/element in the SWG converts the salt to chlorine?

Are you certain the SWG isn't working? Generally there are lights on when it's on and some kind of error indication if it's not generating. It could be that it is working but there isn't enough CYA to protect the FC from the sun and/or there is some algae growing that's consuming it as fast as it's made.

So if there are no error messages, catch a sample straight from the pool return when the SWG says it's running and test that. Just push a cup upside down into the pool next to the return, then tilt it sideways to let the air out and the return flow to flush it and fill it. If it shows FC but the pool doesn't, you know the problem is not with the SWG.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Also go ahead and take that copper piece out, it is adding copper to your pool and trust me, you don't want metal in your pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Generally there are lights on when it's on and some kind of error indication if it's not generating.
    That was a very important part that I left out. The code displaying is 91 (low salt, dirt or scale on titanium plates-I cleaned this, electrolytic cell failure), but there must be plenty of salt (260 lbs).

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Also go ahead and take that copper piece out, it is adding copper to your pool and trust me, you don't want metal in your pool
    Are you sure about this? Isn't this a crucial part of generating chlorine? Why would the pump have this piece in it if it wasn't necessary?

Does anyone want to see images of my copper and titanium electrodes? Also, I added the requested amount of cyanuric acid (4 lbs) a few days ago, and I think it's too early to test, but I'm assuming that was enough.
    Above ground, 10k intex vinyl ultra frame pool. Intex saltwater-sand filtration. Installed May 2014. TF-100 test kit, plus Taylor K-1766 salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5

My understanding is that a SWG won't easily be able to bring your chlorine level from zero to the desired level. You need to get it where you want it with bleach, then the SWG can maintain it.

I think SWGs are also temperature dependent, so if your water is too cold, it may not operate properly (but I could certainly be wrong, I'm a SWG newbie).
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Code 91 changes things. You're now beyond my knowledge.

Have you tried the search box here for that?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

More info, the weather has only been hot here for about two days. The thermometer is broken, but my best guess is that the pool temp is around 70-75

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by gingern View Post
    That was a very important part that I left out. The code displaying is 91 (low salt, dirt or scale on titanium plates-I cleaned this, electrolytic cell failure), but there must be plenty of salt (260 lbs).

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure about this? Isn't this a crucial part of generating chlorine? Why would the pump have this piece in it if it wasn't necessary?

Does anyone want to see images of my copper and titanium electrodes? Also, I added the requested amount of cyanuric acid (4 lbs) a few days ago, and I think it's too early to test, but I'm assuming that was enough.
    They put it in so people "feel" better about having lower FC levels with no relation to CYA.. Intex has taken it out of all the new ones and that one is discontinued.

I have no idea on the 91 code
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **